• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Won't start on first push FN2

I know there is a possible issue with the flywheel on the early FN2 CTR but hope my 11 reg has not got it too (good job I have used approved warranty just in case).

About twice a month it fails to start on the first push of the button but fires perfectly on the second with no delay - seems to have got more frequent in the last month, car has only done 41k miles.
On the first push the radio/clock display lights go out and the rest of the dash dims as you would expect when starting. All I have live is the radio & fan on low.
However all I get is a faint whirr which could be the fuel pump since that is somewhere under the centre console, there is no clicking sound that you might expect from a duff starter solenoid or the sort of sound I would expect from a free spinning starter motor.

If the flywheel is the problem I would expect total start failure since the teeth that are not engaging with the starter on first push would not have moved and a second push would only have the motor trying to engage with the same place.
The battery was replaced back in March at the last service by Honda dealer 4k miles ago, so should not be a power problem.

Could this be a duff solenoid just not passing current to the motor or the motor not coming forward to engage with the flywheel or what?

Both my FN2s did this, both cured with a new battery.

Other than that, aye starter motor pin not firing, but mine were weak batteries.

Check battery terminal is clamped on both posts well. Could also be a symptom of a stretched timing chain if it gets worse over time. What about fuel level is it doing it when there's low fuel and the pressure isn't built up in the system fully due to low fuel level.

Check battery terminal is clamped on both posts well. Could also be a symptom of a stretched timing chain if it gets worse over time. What about fuel level is it doing it when there's low fuel and the pressure isn't built up in the system fully due to low fuel level.

Thanks, hope it is not chain at only 41k miles.
It is just totally random as afar as I can see but I get the feeling that if I rush to push the button after turning the key that is when it happens. Maybe not giving the pump enough time to pressurise the system?

Back