• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Replacing Steering Rack

I'm going to be getting my steering rack replaced as its not quite self centring correctly.

How do I identify that's its a facelift rack I'm buying (going to see some at a breakers but they're already out of the car) and would you recommend replacing the slider with the Honda part or the K system pro solid slider

Realistically how many hours labour is this?

thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Did this improve your steering or not?

The parts arrived last night, I am getting TGM to do the install next week, so will let you know. I bloody hope it improves it after all the parts :D

But if doing it on a budget, just get this replaced on the new rack: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...731228?hash=item25bb27b39c:g:RBAAAOSw5b1XIyha

It has the guide as well, which a lot of people don't change but it does wear out and causes slight knocking over time.

edit: Also the steering wheel is not meant to centre fully, if that makes sense. These cars are known for it. I also made a thread about that a while ago: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?103497-EP3-Steering-Self-Centre-Issue

It would be really good to know the outcome.

The quoted me £330 to change the rack including alignment.

My car is an early 02 pre facelift - what is yours? I also have the Eibach pro springs. TGM did it, they changed the track rods at the same time but didn't do the dampers.

Also, have you changed the ball joints, if so extended or OEM normal ones? AND did you do a rack raiser?

Did you do the superpro control arm caster increase bushes?

It would be really good to know the outcome.

The quoted me £330 to change the rack including alignment.

My car is an early 02 pre facelift - what is yours? I also have the Eibach pro springs. TGM did it, they changed the track rods at the same time but didn't do the dampers.

Also, have you changed the ball joints, if so extended or OEM normal ones? AND did you do a rack raiser?

Did you do the superpro control arm caster increase bushes?

Yeah no problem, I will let you know.

I got quoted £160 for replacing all the parts I am bringing to them including alignment (FRSU). They don't have to remove the entire rack for that though so it explains the lower labour cost.

Mine is a 2004 facelift currently on Bilstein B14 coilovers.

As for the balljoints, they are the OEM ones. Almost all suspension bushes have been changed now to fresh OEM rubber. I did not do the rack raiser no, as it makes no meaningful difference and sometimes can even makes things worse. Also my car is not low enough to justify it tbh.

I had a go in a polybushed EP3 and my teeth were going to fallout, so not doing that to mine :D

Yeah no problem, I will let you know.

I got quoted £160 for replacing all the parts I am bringing to them including alignment (FRSU). They don't have to remove the entire rack for that though so it explains the lower labour cost.

Mine is a 2004 facelift currently on Bilstein B14 coilovers.

As for the balljoints, they are the OEM ones. Almost all suspension bushes have been changed now to fresh OEM rubber. I did not do the rack raiser no, as it makes no meaningful difference and sometimes can even makes things worse. Also my car is not low enough to justify it tbh.

I had a go in a polybushed EP3 and my teeth were going to fallout, so not doing that to mine :D

So what parts are they actually replacing?

Doing springs was a load of rubbish, the shocks don't like it and it drives a bit 'gay' if I'm honest. I'm now thinking of doing Tein Coilovers, hardrace ball joints and new wishbone superpro bushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what parts are they actually replacing?

Doing springs was a load of rubbish, the shocks don't like it and it drives a bit 'gay' if I'm honest. I'm now thinking of doing Tein Coilovers, hardrace ball joints and new wishbone superpro bushes.

- Ksystem Pro Solid Slider
- Genuine Honda Guide
- Genuine Honda Boot Kit
- A few bolts, nuts and brackets from Honda too, to replace the rusty ones on the rack
- Meyle inner rack ends
- Meyle outer track rod ends

So that's what I am supplying them with and have also asked for them to grease all necessary components.

What mileage was your car at again? Doing just springs on shocks over 70-80k miles will feel weird, as the shocks are tired at that point. But for the price of new OEM shocks you can get TEIN's, BCs, Meister Rs or a lower end Bilstein kit.

What you have planned will be good, but it will be a rough ride so as long as you are happy with that, it's all good :)

How did it go?

Well unfortunately it has to wait, suspension started giving me issues only after 2k miles on it, so filling out a Bilstein warranty claim form first lol. Need to get that sorted before the rack job, as both require alignment so might as well save cost on that (think it's £60 for FRSU).

Not yet, I ll post in here once it's done, few other things have come up for me atm.

Quick update, my car is at TGM for

1. Replacement radiator, Mishimoto
2. Steering rack refurb, slider, guide and various other bolts boots and bits
3. Check for all suspension play, including ball joints and shocks
4. Installation of a 4-2-1 manifold

Will let you know how it goes.

I had this all done, including new ball joints (Hardrace) and new steering arms (Blueprint)
TGM did all the new bolts and bits as well as re greasing everything up.
They didn’t need to take the manifold off in the end so didn’t have one done.
Was going to go with a DC5 manifold and Cat, so got one of those for sale now if anyone’s interested
Slider has tightened up steering, there is more weight to the whole movement now, can’t comment specifically on the Teflon Coated guide but steering seems to move about quicker and be more precise now.
Bump steer is still present and car really does pull to the left where’s there’s lots of Camber.
I think this is down to FRSU settings and the fact that my left tyre is unevenly worn and lower than the right side.

Back