• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 REAR BRAKE PROBLEM, HELP REQUIRED

Hi folks,
Having a bit of a nightmare with the rear brake calipers on my ep3. A few years back I refurbished fronts and rears (new seals n pistons), as they deteriorated again I splashed out on a Tarox front brake kit (fronts have been outstanding since).
Recently the rears started to bind slightly, stripped them n rebuild them but problems persisted. I decided to buy a pair of reconditioned calipers for £200 on eBay.
Once fitted the binding stopped but the handbrake was still aweful! Bought and fitted new cables as I thought that’s the only part of the system I’ve not replaced but no joy-still rubbish.
Believing the issue could be caused by poor quality non oem seals being used in the refurbished calipers I bought yet another genuine seal kit and stripped the calipers. When I got into the calipers it was all as it should have been. Seals, piston worm gear all looked good and moved well.
I decided to dig a little deeper and remove all the handbrake actuating assembly. I noticed that there seems to be a lot of wear on the pin and it’s locators (A, B and C pictured).
It’s a highly flawed design in my opinion, the movement require to actuate the piston from the handbrake is tiny but any wear in these parts detracts from this movement.
Has anyone encountered this issue and overcome it? I’m reluctant to shell out for brand new calipers from Honda as they’re crazy expensive as I’ve hemeraged so much cash already on this issue. Has anyone upgraded there rear calipers? Are there any better designed calipers that fit ep3 mounts for example Accord or Integra ones?
Happy to supply more info if required and any helpful advice will be greatly welcomed.

Photos

Photos of parts

Attachments

• 3A454687-82BC-4E9A-B2B8-C0034FC357E1.jpeg
    3A454687-82BC-4E9A-B2B8-C0034FC357E1.jpeg
    917.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 25C0B6B5-3A7C-465C-9125-69C95FB35AF1.jpeg
    25C0B6B5-3A7C-465C-9125-69C95FB35AF1.jpeg
    563.2 KB · Views: 26
I'm going to keep an eye on this also as the girlfriends EP3's mot is next month and I've done the same as you. I think they only passed it last year to get rid of it as they couldn't sort the issue.
I think dc5 calipers can be made to fit with swapping some parts where the handbrake cable connects. But like you weve already bought new calipers and even changed the new ones with other new ones to try and find the issue.

I'm going to keep an eye on this also as the girlfriends EP3's mot is next month and I've done the same as you. I think they only passed it last year to get rid of it as they couldn't sort the issue.
I think dc5 calipers can be made to fit with swapping some parts where the handbrake cable connects. But like you weve already bought new calipers and even changed the new ones with other new ones to try and find the issue.

EP3 handbrakes are not very good at best - quote from master mechanic at my local Honda dealer, yes I've done the same, had the same problems, still have a not very good handbrake, something I did which improved it slightly is the sliders, I guess you've changed them but have you greased them? Not saying this will fix it but it improved mine slightly.......

Had the same problems I just brought two caliper and hand break cables
Its like brand new car hold and passed mot

EP3 handbrakes are not very good at best - quote from master mechanic at my local Honda dealer, yes I've done the same, had the same problems, still have a not very good handbrake, something I did which improved it slightly is the sliders, I guess you've changed them but have you greased them? Not saying this will fix it but it improved mine slightly.......

Yeah I always clean up the sliders and re-grease them when I do anything with brakes on a car.

Had the same problems I just brought two caliper and hand break cables
Its like brand new car hold and passed mot

What brand of caliper and cables did you buy?
I used budweg calipers from brakes international and japoparts or jakoparts? cables I think it was.
Then I think it got pagid calipers.
I'm tempted to try some dc5 rear calipers and see if they are any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
What brand of caliper and cables did you buy?
I used ludweg calipers from brakes international and japoparts or jakoparts? cables I think it was.
Then I think it got pagid calipers.
I'm tempted to try some dc5 rear calipers and see if they are any better.

Yeah same brought caliper from break international I think there Budweg and oem handbreak cables

MOT on the EP3 tomorrow. Andrew who owns the garage has said he wont bother putting his lottery on lol. I best have a quick look round the car before she takes it down.

What was the verdict for the MOT? I’m no closer to finishing a solution. The DC5 option is interesting though, do you know of that working?

Well the car past the MOT. My girlfriends brother is a mechanic and he's had a bit of a look at it and its working the best it has since all this trouble started so its as good as its going to get.
I'm sure I've seen a guide somewhere for fitting DC5 rear calipers but I wont be doing this on her car.

Back