• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #6

Would have suggested a gunmetal grey shade but definitely has to be black out of those 2 options.

Wheels still not done, but I've a bit of time on Weds and Thursday next week. I've got all the bits together, just need to get on with it...

Went to Grinspeed on Friday morning. In and out visit really but a new caliper on the OS rear as the old one wasn't holding the car on the handbrake causing it to lift in one side and inspire even less confidence in it than it normally would. Before you ask, I always park it in gear too, but setting off on hills is a bit easier now.

Also had the infamous sub-frame click sorted, which is a major annoyance dealt with!

Wheels still not done, but I've a bit of time on Weds and Thursday next week. I've got all the bits together, just need to get on with it...

Went to Grinspeed on Friday morning. In and out visit really but a new caliper on the OS rear as the old one wasn't holding the car on the handbrake causing it to lift in one side and inspire even less confidence in it than it normally would. Before you ask, I always park it in gear too, but setting off on hills is a bit easier now.

Also had the infamous sub-frame click sorted, which is a major annoyance dealt with!

hi mate whats the cure for that annoying click? get it sometimes on full lock to the right and over big bumps? looked at whole supsension setup and nothing is wrong lol

I now have a new found dislike for Plasti-dip. It's awful stuff. I honestly wished I'd just rattle can painted them now.

It took what seemed to be a ton of spray to coat them initially, I then purposely left them more than the minimum time between coats before applying another but every time I came back to them, the previous coat had started to crack. It was infuriating.

Anyway, the three cans that I thought would do all four wheels, given that they are only 16", is now going to have to be four and I have another on its way next day delivery for tomorrow as I've used two full cans on two wheels, mostly due to covering cracks.

I'm doing the other two tomorrow as well as trimming and peeling off any over spray from the surfaces that will touch the hubs or nuts.

Before (to save scrolling back):
01b6c4d22d53216eed994ca2ee24f071.jpg

During (with shrinkage, yes I've sprayed over the wheel weights):
f4651c2d82b43bcdcd365f0940ecd3de.jpg

End (as good as I'm willing to persevere with):
50048d83cac63f76cc08b609fb07a9dd.jpg

Did you warm the cans in water John. I found that really helped when using that stuff. Then keep a little heater in the items while it dries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've painted movie prop replicas before and cracking or wrinkling normally happens if there is contaminant on the item you're spraying or temperatures aren't right when carrying out the job. NYA's advice is spot on. Warming the cans in warm water will help as will ensuring your alloys stay in a warm environment whilst they fully cure. A shift in warm to cold or vice versa will promote wrinkling/cracking of paint

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Were they room temp when you sprayed them or straight from the garage?
Oh well and truly in a well ventilated garage.

Maybe if I'd have done some research rather than just reading the can.

This is the sort of crap I've been dealing with. Driving me potty. Coat after coat to cover the sh!t...

fc2d3e141ffde0af5890045b202cc22b.jpg

Oh yea, for sure spray in the garage... what I'm asking is... were the wheels at garage temperature or did you bring them from indoors where they're circa 20°C?

It'd certainly help to spray onto a warmer surface

No they were in the garage before I started on them.

It's a fair bit warmer today and the finish on these two is a lot better than the first two. Still the odd crack but nothing like yesterday. In my head I thought it would have been better going on cold as warm rubber would shrink, though I guess that was the issue, it shrunk too, fast.

I can just see me getting to mid Jan and having to peel it off on the driveway... :picardfp:

Didn't end up that bad.

b4631e58ec33786f70f6f58dfe367591.jpg

If it starts peeling I'll just rip it all off and rattle can them as they're minty fresh underneath, just the wrong colour. Oh and warm the paint and wheels first...

I've only purchased my FN2 in August. Are Honda looking at these issues and repairing them or is it a case of taking into any independent garage. I've just started to notice the click on mine too.

Honda will fix it for you. For a fee. One much higher than most independents I'm sure.

Back