• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #6

One wheel has gone properly pear shaped, one of the first I did. Ended up peeling a portion of it off as it had all lifted in a big bubble.

4f2f3a785582ce64e863b11dad7fd316.jpg

I've sprayed that quarter again. It's OK but not ideal, you can see the overlap but only from under 2 foot away.

I'm going to put it on and see how it lasts. If it peels I can redo it over a weekend.

Centre caps part way through being painted Milano.

0c1c543d2321ee4e7e58483789efef65.jpg

I've just lacquered them tonight. Matt wheels and gloss Milano caps. Oh yeah!

The gel badges arrived today too for the caps.

7bf96477d35187c68e50b6bc2a737cee.jpg

:cool:

I'd bite the bullet and rattle can them in gunmetal.... and crack open a bottle of bud whilst you're at it

I was not using plastidip on my mini but something similar.

I had that cracking on the chrome petrol cap, kept happening and happening.

I ripped it all over, cleaned it with some white spirits and sprayed it again and it was okay after that.

It’s probably something reacting with the plastidip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably going on Thursday or Friday maybe if I've time. They'll be peeling by Sunday.

324e2dbc0660bc6c081f1a9c8093bcb6.jpg

a6c98fdf47b3cfd9b5cec339c6cc4d77.jpg

4d6ccd0aa3cd6450cc84650c0dfc7495.jpg

Is this a case of proper preparation preventing p*ss poor performance?

It might have been the cold can thing. It does seem to be the first two that I did, unawares that it helps to warm the cans and wheels first have come out the worst.

I've bought another can of Plasti-Dip in a last ditch, peel, splash and patch attempt to fix them as the last section repair went well. Nearly £60 spent on the stuff so far. :lol:

I spent yesterday fck'd up and sweating in bed resetting my body clock from a week on nights so nowt got done. :picardfp:

I've finished the touch-ups tonight, and although they aren't 100% dry yet they look, dare I say it, okay.

Snow forecast for tonight, so this plan of having winters on the car has gone a bit like the idea of having an ashtray on a motorbike...

Still, Sunday and they should be on the car. I'm playing daddy day care tomorrow while Jayne is out in Lollerpool all day with the girlies. :roll:

Well they're on. Only just clear the brakes but only just is enough!

15e06ff5102766894b97944c07de4952.jpg

1bb60365ec218de54fcf321f29920642.jpg

Not had chance to drive anywhere on them yet.

Another side effect of fitting is that they wouldn't go on with the 15mm spacers that were on the car before as the Rotas don't have those gaps in the back of the wheel, so I had to take them off. On closer inspection it looks like one of the studs is stretched on the spacer, probably something to do with all the copper grease on the threads stopping them from being torqued up properly. I've no idea why people do this...

Anyway, spacers off, original studs cleaned of copper grease and the new wheels fitted.

I don't think I'll be bothering with spacers when I put the OEM wheels back on in all honesty.

they look revolting mate lol

once winter is done are you putting the white oems back on ?
Cheers. Only spent the best part of a month trying to spray them up. Must be one of those things that they look better IRL then. :roll:

You must have me confused with someone else, this car has never had white wheels whilst in my ownership.

Good work Loxy - patience has paid off

They look alright :cool:

And if they keep you on the grey stuff then thats what they're on for.
Once they've done their job it's as you were. :)

Cheers. Only spent the best part of a month trying to spray them up. Must be one of those things that they look better IRL then. :roll:

You must have me confused with someone else, this car has never had white wheels whilst in my ownership.

lol i was did i looked at the start and they're black are you going to keep the black?

lol i was did i looked at the start and they're black are you going to keep the black?
The OEMs? Yep, they'll probably stay black.

The OEMs did feel incredibly heavy compared to these Rotas though, so I may have to invest in some new wheels at some point.

Back