• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #6

Just read through this thread having finished the silver one. Surprised to read you’ve returned to the FN2. It seems to strike a good balance of fun and refinement though. Just what you need for a daily.
I feel your pain John. I’ve returned to the red R after almost 4 years. My DC5 I would say needed more mechanical work than my FN2 and it cost me about £3k over almost 4 years. I’d say it was a very together car when I let go of it other than the seats being in desperate need of repair.
I’ve had my FN2 for just over 2 months and I’m going on for nearly £2k spend already. I reckon there’s easily another £1500 in it before this year is out too. Hopefully the return will be there over the next couple years.

I’ve had my FN2 for just over 2 months and I’m going on for nearly £2k spend already. I reckon there’s easily another £1500 in it before this year is out too. Hopefully the return will be there over the next couple years.

What's the money gone on?

I have spent about £2500 on mine but that's partial respray, wheel refurb, new exterior bits (side skirt, wheel arch trims, front splitter) & various bits of personalizing bling - no performance "enhancements" at all.
I don't count the new tyres & brakes all round as that's routine maintenance.

MOT and service parts £100
2 new rear calipers oem pads and brake fluid £300
HEL lines £120 (optional I realise but made sense to do along with the above)
Labour for the above £50 mates rates

TGM bill today came to £1830 for new clutch, flywheel, LSD, slave cylinder, front shocks, eibach camber bolts - (I had these but someone had snapped the tabs on both!) fluids and labour obviously too.

Also need to get front wheel alignment done to dial in the camber. No idea on cost but TGM’s machine was out of action.

Of that bill only the LSD was optional but again, just picking the common sense opportunity to do it.

Coming up I have the rear beam bushes to fit. The beam is quite corroded so i’ll probably pay more to source one from a breakers, shot blast, paint and then straight swap.

I also bought the car with a cpl header so if I want to keep it I need a custom b-pipe with sports cat by the time next MOT comes around. Preferably before though.

Tyres all have stacks of tread but are beginning to crack so possibly need 4 new tyres before winter too

So an expensive 1st year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha!

Map tweak. That is if it is the map.

It might be having the, "Half a jerry can and a lit match," mod if it is mechanical.
Pretty sure in my head now that if it turns out to be something major, that it will be sorted but then the car sold after JAE.

If it's not then I might rethink.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire pal. Sometimes is better the devil you know.... unless your name is Karl ;)

Losing the will, John?
Yep. Seems endless at the minute. I'm at the point of, "There can't be anything left to fix can there?"

Out of the frying pan and into the fire pal. Sometimes is better the devil you know.... unless your name is Karl ;)
Aye maybe. I'd be looking at leasing a brand spanker. It would have worked out to be considerably less than I've spent on the Civic since I got it.

If I stretched a tiny bit more than that (i.e. £297 pcm) I could be in a new Leon Cupra 290, though with my sensible hat on I'd be looking at something more family orientated. I've been looking at 24 month leases which should let my bank recover...

Did you consider EFI for the mapping work?
It has already been mapped on Ecutek otherwise I very well might have given them a go.
EFI still can remap it, but it will mean shelling out for Flashpro plus the map, so that would be almost a grand straight off.

In terms of mapping with ecutek, Jessie Halford or jcal can map on those now. He goes up to tegiwa to map fairly often I think. He's got a really good reputation, I'm really happy what he did with mine with the rotrex. Certainly got a better rep than tdi at the moment.

He's very open and honest which is a refreshing change against some others. It could be another option for you anyway John.

Here's hoping it's nothing major and can be sorted easily. Nothing worse than being forced to throw money at a car when you've done enough already.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

If I stretched a tiny bit more than that (i.e. £297 pcm) I could be in a new Leon Cupra 290, though with my sensible hat on I'd be looking at something more family orientated. I've been looking at 24 month leases which should let my bank recover...

It's a perfectly sensible family car :lol:

It's a perfectly sensible family car :lol:

what he said. Decent leg room for my two and you are a bit shorter than me. Boot isn't too bad in size either. Was able to take a few bits to dump at work at the weekend :lol:

DO IT :twisted:

Yep. Seems endless at the minute. I'm at the point of, "There can't be anything left to fix can there?"

You fool. Of course there is! :lol:

And when you've fixed everything, something you've already fixed will need fixing again!

Washed it and it is looking amazing again. :swoon

f3ee5c4ee43945c4186146e1d6ab4194.jpg

Ha!

Map tweak. That is if it is the map.

It might be having the, "Half a jerry can and a lit match," mod if it is mechanical.
Back from TDI-North/TPW Engineering.

Clean bill of health, minor map tweak with added bonus of Ecutek traction control added.

Back