• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Burning Smell EP3 2005 CTR

Morning Guys,

I would say for the past couple of month now, i get this burning smell when i get out the car, its coming from underneath the bonnet, I dont even need to VTEC it for this to happen, but the car still pulls as it should no issues.

I know i have a current issue with the clutch release bearing, could this be a cause of the smell?

The tyres seem fine and are at correct PSI , Ive just bought new break pads to change over to see if thats what's causing the issue and i check the oil levels regular.

I had a bag attach itself to my center pipe some time ago but that has since been removed.

Any thing anyone can think of or help me out ?

Is it clutch smell?

burning clutch has a distinct smell

Im thinking it possibly could be, when i bought it the garage said they have had changed the clutch, they have been inside the clutch box for sure you can see the markings. But after only a couple month of this "New" clutch, the release bearing is ticking away when i release the pedal and dissapears as soon as i dip the clutch only a couple of Centimeters. Possibly a budget clutch or changed the plates and not the bearing?

Could it be the input shaft bearing? You say the noise goes when you dip the clutch.

There seems to be numerous people who think its either one or the other, but i the best option for me is to replace the clutch and the input shaft bearing at he same time ?

The transmission fluid should have been changed when the clutch was done, it holds about 1.7 litres, when I changed mine I inserted a 10mm tube from the engine bay into the filler hole until fluid overflowed from the filler hole. No other way to measure it. Just pour slowly :)

The transmission fluid should have been changed when the clutch was done, it holds about 1.7 litres, when I changed mine I inserted a 10mm tube from the engine bay into the filler hole until fluid overflowed from the filler hole. No other way to measure it. Just pour slowly :)

Cheers Flashy, Ill get back to you guys once i have done all the above, Fingers crossed that sorts it, its just more of an annoyance of the smell when im near the bonnet more than anything.

Update on this,

It seems when last oil change was performed it dripped onto some underseal, therefore the burning smell, the underseal is getting cleaned and removed next few days and re-applied.

Hoping this removes my anxiety of it being somthing major.

Back