• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 air con not working

Hi All. My air con hasn't worked for some time and i'm looking to get it fixed or at least get an idea of how much it's going to cost.
The light comes on but there's no noticeable change in the temperature or power so I don't think anything is happening.
I've checked and can see the belt/pulley (?) spinning but the clutch isn't doing anything.
I've tried swapping a few of the relays with the horn relay (there's a couple with air con type symbols) and still nothing so I'm guessing it's actually an issue with the compressor.
Is there anything else that would stop it engaging e.g. if it was out of the gas? or anything else i can check?

I'm not too sure if it's ever actually worked as i don;t drive it that often and coming from a previous car with no working heating/fan any kind of fan was an upgrade so i've never really thought to use it.
I did have it re-gassed a few years back and i vaguely recall it was colder for a bit so im wondering if there's a leak. But would that stop the clutch engaging now?

I just want a rough idea of what i can check as I'm unlikely to pay for it if it's gonna be a big bill as i've managed without for all this time.

No refrigerant/gas pressure in the system prevents from the compressor switching on. You’ll need to check if it’s lost it’s gas since being refilled which will confirm you have a leak.

if the pressure is low and i've had it re-gassed in the past doesn't that mean there must be a leak? so no point in paying for it to be re-gassed again? or is it not that simple?

if the pressure is low and i've had it re-gassed in the past doesn't that mean there must be a leak? so no point in paying for it to be re-gassed again? or is it not that simple?

If you have it pressure tested first, any leaks will be found. Once fixed, it can be recharged. Halfrauds charge about 50 quid.

Trev

Got the car re-gassed at ATS with a Groupon discount code and it was only £35. Not sure if the deal is still on but worth checking

get it regassed, if there's a leak they're not allowed to charge you. I've had mine done at kwik fit on the m3, and it's the only reason I'll use them, due to them not charging if there's a leak. Free test :D

Back