• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Groan on EP3

Hey guys,

I get this groaning noise ONLY when I slowly let go of the clutch on 1st gear/riding the clutch, during slow traffic and sometimes hill starts. The noise comes around the biting point up until the clutch is fully engaged and then it goes away. Otherwise the car feels normal when I take off normally or quickly.

The previous owner of the car recently fitted a new Exedy stage 1 clutch (6 months ago / 5000-6000 kms ago) so I am confident that I won't be replacing the clutch any time soon.

Very similar sound to this:
[video=youtube;N0lFASsv_Qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0lFASsv_Qk[/video]

Is this noise something that I just have to deal with and get used to or should I be worried and get it checked asap?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same bloody noise :mad:
Since I had my clutch changed it's started make noise
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me too much because it rarely happens, just scared if I could damage the car the longer I ignore it. Which clutch did you replace your old one with?

Was the release bearing changed?
Not too sure, but don't new clutch kits come with new throw out clutch bearing? I'll have to try and find that out somehow though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this noise as well, previous owner also had a exedy clutch put in. Been 2 years and no problems but yeah the noise sounds really worrying lol

Might be worth greasing between the end of the clutch slave and the rod that goes into the gearbox. Should only take a couple of minutes to do

I have something similar but it only occurs when the car is cold and only for the first few releases.

I have no idea what clutch is in place (hopefully OEM) since it was replaced before I bought it and some of the paperwork is a little nondescript.

Funny enough my EP3 also started doing this shortly after I fitted a genuine Honda clutch kit,

I may have a temporary cure, I bought a Jazz because we had a baby and didnt want to use the R and this also had a groan same as the R so when you push in the clutch a push rod thats attached to the pedal goes in and out, I used my hand to push it fully in and gave that a good greasing working the pedal in and releasing it out and for around 6 months now the groan has gone.

Aint tried it on the EP yet as its currently off the road but worth a shot. Hope it helps.

It's been around 3 months since I posted this. I've learnt to live with it. I just avoid holding the clutch at that certain point (at the very top as you're about to release the clutch pedal) where it starts groaning. It only really happens when I'm taking off uphill and the guy in front of me goes really slow forcing me to hold the clutch pedal longer. Otherwise, everything seems to be fine for now.

I got my clutch changed by ABP Motorsport 3 years ago
They stock most honda genuine parts
I told them about the noise they've turned around and said it's fine

Whenever I do a clutch I always clean the pivot points on the back of the clutch fork and also where the slave pushes the fork I then regrease them with some decent grease, our ep3 doesn't do this after I fitted genuine Honda clutch kit, neither does my dc2 after doing the same.

Back