• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Rear Brake Question

Hi everyone,

Firstly im not sure if this is the right place to post this so i apologise if its not.

I've been hearing a loud noise from the back drivers side of the car over the last week, the other day i took the wheel off to check if the pads were ok and there was no rubbish caught anywhere.

As i was expecting the brake pads were worn and needed replacing. I've never swapped any brake pads before but decided to give it a go after watching a few tutorials and always wanting to improve my own car maintenance skills.

Basically, pretty straight forward, took the old pads out, put the new ones in, realised i had no way of getting the piston back in, walked to the local parts shop to get one of them cube piston return tool things, used that to push the piston back in to place, put everything back together and nervously went for a drive to see if i'd die.

I didn't die (bonus), everything seems to be ok, the noise is gone and the car stops without issue. Its just i was expecting the feel to be the same and it doesn't. It feels spongy and soft when i apply the brakes. Im just looking for clarification if this is normal or if i may have missed something?

Sorry for rambling on and on

Thanks

Pete

did you disconnect any brake lines, bleed screw etc?, if not, it's more than likely just due to the pads needing to "bed in" which is fairly
normal.

Nope, didn't touch any lines or screws or anything like that. I also checked around for any leaks or anything before i put the wheel back on

New pads can feel a little soft before they’ve bed in. Along with the type of pads you’ve used and their quality.

Back