Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamp shortie oil filter

I don't think it makes any performance difference what so ever, it is simply for K swaps as mentioned above, where space is an issue. I just bought the normal sized one for mine.
    2004 Civic Type R - Current - Build Thread
    1999 Integra Type R - Gone

I always thought the slightly smaller filter raised the oil pressure slightly which is why people used them on race cars. Even if its smaller in size doesn't mean its filtering abilities are any less than a bigger one as this is determined by surface area of the filter inside the unit.

Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,774 Posts

Kind of contradictory... it’s smaller, therefor has less filter and as such - less surface area. That’s the only mechanism for increased pressure from a smaller filter if the level of filtration is the same.

Oil pressure is also pointless if it’s at the expense of flow IMO. Does anyone know exactly where the pressure measurement is taken from? Pre or post filter?

To my knowledge there’s never been any complaints about oil pressure on the k20. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it until it is.
    UKDM y0!

I've got an oil pressure gauge to fit, currently run a normal filter and a shortie to follow.

If I can find the time I'll be the proof in your pudding, so to speak!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Norv For This Useful Post:

mike.h (16-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazz View Post
    Kind of contradictory... it’s smaller, therefor has less filter and as such - less surface area. That’s the only mechanism for increased pressure from a smaller filter if the level of filtration is the same.

Oil pressure is also pointless if it’s at the expense of flow IMO. Does anyone know exactly where the pressure measurement is taken from? Pre or post filter?

To my knowledge there’s never been any complaints about oil pressure on the k20. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it until it is.
    Not necessarily, the filtering part inside the oil filter is folded this is what determines the surface area so a smaller filter could easily have a larger filtering surface area than a bigger one depending on the folding inside the unit.
    Anyway just fit them they are decent and a nice shade of green lol.

For information only, I don't necessarily agree with any conclusions drawn by the publisher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9uOk8LuQQ

He has another video, again take it as you will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfjt_cRTlFI

Unfortunately I had to change my oil and filter at the same time so can't compare between the filters. I've got a sandwich plate now so the short one was preferable due to the limited space.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk