• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hamp shortie oil filter

I have used them when doing oil changes on my EP3 for 10 years. Don't know if they make a difference but i just stuck with them tbh.

Same here, I've used them for years with no probs.
They claim to slightly raise engine oil pressure though not sure if they do or not.

Used them for years now on tegs, crx, and EP3, I think they have actually stopped making them now but there's still plenty stock knocking about I guess.

My train of thought is less time in the filter = more time where the oil's needed. Besides, I'll be changing it frequently.

I don't think it works like that. It's like decreasing your air filter size. Your engine isn't pulling any more air or getting it 'where it needs to be' more efficiently, it's just trying to suck the same amount through a smaller straw.

As the oil filter gunks up you'd see a faster decease in flow and thus more time in the filter and less time where the oil is needed. Oil pressure is raised because the oil is being forced through a smaller filter.

I've never thought they sounded like a good idea. Quite the opposite IMO.

Ideal in K-swaps where space is at a premium

But wouldn't bother choosing it over another because of size/pressure in ep3
I've fitted one in the past just because it came with a service pack, its a little easier to fit having that tiny bit extra space though. Talking marginally though

I don't think it makes any performance difference what so ever, it is simply for K swaps as mentioned above, where space is an issue. I just bought the normal sized one for mine.

I always thought the slightly smaller filter raised the oil pressure slightly which is why people used them on race cars. Even if its smaller in size doesn't mean its filtering abilities are any less than a bigger one as this is determined by surface area of the filter inside the unit.

Kind of contradictory... it’s smaller, therefor has less filter and as such - less surface area. That’s the only mechanism for increased pressure from a smaller filter if the level of filtration is the same.

Oil pressure is also pointless if it’s at the expense of flow IMO. Does anyone know exactly where the pressure measurement is taken from? Pre or post filter?

To my knowledge there’s never been any complaints about oil pressure on the k20. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it until it is.

I've got an oil pressure gauge to fit, currently run a normal filter and a shortie to follow.

If I can find the time I'll be the proof in your pudding, so to speak!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kind of contradictory... it’s smaller, therefor has less filter and as such - less surface area. That’s the only mechanism for increased pressure from a smaller filter if the level of filtration is the same.

Oil pressure is also pointless if it’s at the expense of flow IMO. Does anyone know exactly where the pressure measurement is taken from? Pre or post filter?

To my knowledge there’s never been any complaints about oil pressure on the k20. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it until it is.

Not necessarily, the filtering part inside the oil filter is folded this is what determines the surface area so a smaller filter could easily have a larger filtering surface area than a bigger one depending on the folding inside the unit.
Anyway just fit them they are decent and a nice shade of green lol.

Unfortunately I had to change my oil and filter at the same time so can't compare between the filters. I've got a sandwich plate now so the short one was preferable due to the limited space.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back