• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Doing some DIY work, pointers please

Had my EP3 off the road for a while now and there are a few things that need doing which I've decided to do with my old man, prior to taking it for an MOT, service and FRSU.

So far the parts I have waiting to be fitted are:

- Goodridge Braided Brake Hoses (Part SHD0380-4C)
- 1.5Litres Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
- Front Wishbone SuperPro Polybushes (SPF2308K)

I've read that replacing the bushes in the wishbones is a nightmare, I have also bought the polybushes that increase caster by 1 degree which I gather are even more of a pain to fit. Does anyone have any pointers or tips when doing these? I've read a few guides about how to get the bushes out but by the sounds of it getting the wishbone back in will be the hardest part with these. I'd also appreciate any guides of tips on changing the brake hoses and fluid.

In preparation for having the FRSU done, I also thought about fitting the camber bolts whilst I'm sorting the wishbones (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...h=item35e12038ec:g:O9IAAOSwCmNZ0h~S:rk:2:pf:0). Is there anything else I would need to have the FRSU done, eg for the rear?

So far I've fitted Eibach Lowering Springs and a new set of Brembo discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Rear camber arms.
Re the wishbones there's a good vid on YouTube by Twin Civics garage (or something like that), he uses a press to remove the old bushes. I've bought wishbones with the superpro bushes already in, haven't been brave enough to fit yet. You might want to replace the ball joints at the same time.

If you don’t mind the odd toxic fume, then burning the bushes out with a blow torch and some flammable liquid is the easiest route. Then once the rubber is gone, just hacksaw the metal shell away enough to be able to attack it with a chisel or big screwdriver.
Bushes are always a pain tbh and I do t think there’s an easy way. Even a press can have its problems with slipping or being badly aligned.
If you’re lucky you won’t need a 40 tonne lorry press like I had to use on my old Skyline rear hubs, just to get a bearing out. We used an oxy torch to get them cherry red hot, then whacked it in the press and stood back :lol: Still took 20 minutes of heat and pressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice wee tip i seen on YouTube for splitting the ball joint from the knuckle instead of using a pickle fork or ball joint splitter is to jack up the front end, put axle stands under the front subframe then jack up the wishbone until you lift the car up from the axle stand (this increases the gap between the wishbone and knuckle). Then get an old socket or something solid of the right size (i use metal wedges i use for my line of work) and chap it into the gap between the knuckle and the wishbone. Lower off the jack and the ball joint pops right out of the knuckle.

I use this method all of the time now as 9 times out of 10 you end up splitting the dust cover using a ball joint splitter or pickle fork.

I would just take the wishbones to a garage and get them to press out the bushes and press in the new ones. Shouldn't cost much for them to do it if you have removed the wishbones yourself.

Back