• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 stiff boot handle

Can anyone tell me how to access the rear boot release handle. It has been stiff for a while now on my EP3.

This happened before and i gave the area a good spray of WD40 which loosened it off for a while but it has returned with a vengeance and no matter how much i spray the area it will no longer return the handle to the close position. I think the spring mechanism is gunked up quite badly so i would like to strip off what i can using conventional tools to get the handle mechanism.

I have removed the plastic boot trim on the inside of the hatch but i cannot figure out how to remove the plastic part on the outside of the hatch that covers the handle and rear number plate lights. This part has the rear red H on it. Is this part bolted on or does it have clips?

Look at SK-R's build thread, he pulled his apart to fix it. I took to mine with a toothbrush from the underside to clear up the spring, and then some grease. WD40 is a short-term solution since it doesn't cling, it dissipates over time and the area it's applied to loses both the original lubrication (driven off by WD40's cleaning properties) and the new lubrication (the oiliness WD40 has built-in) through evaporation.

You need to remove it in order to clean it properly, as mike said the spring does get dirty/rusty and needs a proper clean. I was stripping everything for the respray anyway so didn't mind, but in your case i'd be very careful with the bootlid lip, as 2 of the clips are almost guaranteed to break.

Works like a charm after though :)

You need to remove it in order to clean it properly, as mike said the spring does get dirty/rusty and needs a proper clean. I was stripping everything for the respray anyway so didn't mind, but in your case i'd be very careful with the bootlid lip, as 2 of the clips are almost guaranteed to break.

Works like a charm after though :)

Going to give this a bash today. What clips do you think will break. Is it any in this pic?
rfwTKXE.png

I believe it is B, Clip 2. I can double check when I get home from work tonight but I remember those being impossible to push out from the inside, as there is no visibility of them (they go into a hole and then are surrounded by metal housing that's part of the dual skin bootlid)

I think I bought extra clips from Honda for that area, since I didn't realise the new lip would come with them, so if you break any I can post those 2 free of charge for you, I have no need for them anymore anyway.

Cheers for the reply. I may have some of those ones if they are the same as the clips used to hold the plastic hatch trim, i had to buy some of them after breaking a couple when i removed the trim to flush out the rear wiper lines and motor a couple of months ago.

Job done. The handle now returns back to its position without me have to push it back.

I couldn't fully remove the part with the rear badge on it as the square nut on the outside was rusted and kept on spinning, i couldn't get anything in to grip it. I got one of the bolts and clips from one side out and i just about had enough room to pull it back and douse the mechanism in brake cleaner then scrub it clean with a toothbrush. I gave the rod and spring a healthy dab of silicone grease so hopefully it will keep it from gunking up and doing it again. If it does happen again at least i know it's not going to take long to free it up again.

Good work bud, yes the nut issue happened to me too, ended up grinding both off and getting a new boot lid :lol:

Back