• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Squealing/Groaning noise at low speeds when turning right

Getting this loud, sqealing/groaning sound from underneath the front of the car but only when turning right and at slow i.e. parking, turning out of junctions speeds. I would say that it's intermittent but it probably happens 80-90% of the time, most days of the week with random times when everything is quiet.

Nothing else seems off. Handling is as good as ever, no other noises/issues etc.

Car has just passed 70k

I don't have the proper offroad space or time to check it out myself (plus I am self-confessed at being sh*t when it comes to most car DIY repairs/jobs...) so it will have to be taken in somewhere to be checked out. Just scouting for any potential ideas so I might have an idea what to expect and the potential costs.

Assuming it's going to be something related to the steering mechanicals, joints etc. unless it's a sign of something more sinister and costly!

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Between this and the front brakes squealing (non-OEM pads), the car is becoming and bit crap to drive because I'm constantly wincing at these noises that make it sound like an old nail :(

I get a weird noise like that in my EP3 but only immediately after a cold start, by the time I've made it out of my road it's stopped. Wheel doesn't have to be turned much, is the same in forward and reverse. Damned if I can work out what it is. Sound similar?

The kind of the angle needed to produce the noise is, say if you are turning right at a mini roundabout (low speed) or into a side road. If it's just a small amount of lock then nothing happens but anything around half-full lock at the noise happens.

Mine seems to be opposite to yours too in that it is more likely to happen when the car is warmed up. I'll have to check reverse because off the top of my head, I don't THINK it happens in that direction.

I did wonder if it was linked to the squealing brakes at first but it happens when my foot is off the brake pedal.

My fn2 brakes screeched only when turning, it was a high pitch squeal.
Groaning could be lower ball joint rubbers, if it was a clunking then that will be your subframe, common fn2 problem

Just had two days of near-faultless driving when the noise only happened once each day. The intermittent nature is annoying me more than anything.

No clunking that I can hear. I used the word 'groaning' as it was the only way I could describe it as it was squealing but not quite the same as brake-squeal (if that makes any sense?!?)

Will swap the brake pads when I can anyway to at least try and get rid of the regular brake squeal and see if that helps.

Thanks for the input thus far!

The low brake pad squeal is definitely noticeable, it's not your usual braking squeal but more of a high pitched embarrassing squeal,
As said mine only happened when turning, it first kicked in on a roundabout and I thought something had gone wrong, the noise was turning heads when I got home

Right, will try to get them changed then, see if it really is just the pads.

Had a seized caliper + warped disc last year so the front discs and pads were all replaced but because it was a bit of an emergency job (car is my daily), I didn't get the time to choose some better/more suitable bits. Garage was a decent one but looking at the receipt, they used "Civic/Accord" pads and I'm pretty sure I read on here that they aren't quite the perfect fit, hence squeal (I'm guessing).

Cheers :)

*Thread necro*

Quick update if anybody cares. It was indeed the brakes. The noise didn't immediately get much worse so I lived with it but just last week, the driver's side brake caliper started seizing. Since I had a week off work conveniently looming, I babied the car around for the remainder of the week and this week I have replaced both front calipers and pads with new OEM parts. All 'orrible noises gone at last! Fortunately, the disc had survived as I seem to have caught the dying caliper early enough (the symptoms were nowhere near as bad as when the other side seized).

I do care! Thanks for the update. My car has a creaky groaning noise when turning at very low speed. It doesn't sound to me like brake squeal, but based on your experince I'll get it checked.

yeah I had this due to a semi seized caliper. Sounded a bit like a very quiet fog horn. Certainly not the same noise as squeaking brakes. Was very odd, took a long time to work out what it was.

A new piston and cleaning up the sliders fixed it!

Out of interest, does anybody know why seized calipers are so common on FN2's? Is it a design flaw with the OEM parts or something? I've never had the problem with any other cars and can't remember anybody else I know having to deal with it with their cars.

Probably the fact that general servicing doesn't cover taking the calipers apart and cleaning them thoroughly. In my experience, you have to pay extra for that.

The Nissin/Honda calipers are generally fine for 10 years, then they start to play up, stick and eventually seize, unless they are regularly serviced aswell.

Here you go mate
f4653b87b991e3e472811528ac3a6190.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back