• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fn2 not starting

Hi all I have a problem with my 07 plate fn2 I had not used the car for around 5 days and had a little trouble starting the car to move it from my drive to get another car out after letting it idle for 10 mins I turned it off then a few hours later got in to start it and got nothing the battery was changed to a new one in July but I did take it out to recharge it but still nothing. After searching the site I found a thread on the fuel cut off button that did not work. The other problem is the brake pedal is not moving at all so the brakes are fully locked at the top of the stroke so I can't even push the car to get it back on my drive.
Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Pressure should relieve on the brakes when it starts, they'll be on because they've been pumped.

What is the car doing? All the dash goes dark like it is going to fire but you don't even get the starter spinning? If so starter motor or then pin isn't coming out enough to hit the flywheel and you'll hear a very faint whurring. Mine does the latter occasionally but starts after a couple of presses.

Other than that, if it is turning, look at fuel, spark of air as it will be a problem with any of those systems.

Lastly, if you've tried jumping it, and connected the jump leads with the key already in the ignition, sometimes you're unlucky enough to fry the ECU...

Thank you for the reply I have not tried a jump start when I press the starter button the dash lights do dim and I can hear a spinning noise from the engine that sounds electrical but never sounds like it's going to start

As Loxy says then, if the spinning noise doesn't include actually turning the engine over, it sounds kinda like the starter solenoid (the starter's gear isn't being pushed forward to engage with the edge of the flywheel). You could either do quick-and-easy of replacing it outright, or pull it from the engine and service it before replacement.

Before you do either of the excellent suggestions above, get a friend to turn over the car whilst you whack the starter motor with a hammer. Don't go mental, you don't want to crack the casing... but don't be a wet lettuce about it either. Hit the thing.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread still not managed to get the car started and I really need the car now so I need to replace the starter my problem now is the car is stuck just outside my drive and I want to get it in to my garage to do the work is there any way to release the pressure on the brakes so I can push the car in as the pedal is pumped and the brakes are now locked

Back