• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Do i need to change the timing chain ?

Hi Everyone,

My car is now on 114k and having a look through the receipts and stuff last night just going over things that need doing in the upcoming months.

I noticed that the Tensioner/Pulley receipts are there but cant seem to see anything about a new timing chain ? How would i go about knowing if its time for a replacement.

I know i need a new Aux belt and i do get weird sound around 3000rpm this only started month or so.

Oil is checked regularly and topped with 5w 40 Shell Helix full synth.

If you need anymore information let me know :)

Honda say the timing chain doesnt need changed. A lot of people recommend getting it changed at 100000miles though for peace of mind. If its rattling at all get it changed. The chain tensioner is known to fail.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

They used to recommend 100,000 miles pre facelift and then removed it post face lift... despite no changes to the valve train.

The chains are known to stretch and skip teeth. Mine did both. This can cause catastrophic failure if it's not rectified soon enough.

The vast majority of members will recommend you change it. The few that don't are quite frankly, chancing their luck.

You can get it inspected to see if it has stretched. Personally I'm going to get mine done early next year once Christmas is out of the way (car is on 85k I think).

Mine is on 102k and hadn't even considered changing it. I reckon a little stretch is normal and it happens early in the chain's life rather than at a certain high milage.

If the car is running fine, no flat spots, or cam sensor fault codes your chain is likely fine. I only got ours changed at just over 100K with new guides and tensioner as the car was coming up with fault codes for cam sensor faults, then it started cutting out and it was hesitating before vtec.

When the chain stretches past its limit the tensioner can no longer do its job also it knocks the timing out which is what causes the cam sensor fault codes and eventually the cutting out. If you have the cams lined up then look down at the crank it will not line up with its mark if the chain has stretched. It also causes the car to run louder at idle.
Once it was all changed the car ran quieter, no hesitation before vtec, no cam sensor fault and no cutting out.

The biggest risk to a stretched chain is an aggressive downshift or an over-rev. The likelihood of piston and valve contact goes up significantly.

I was looking for a specific pic from grinspeed comparing 4 or 5 chains together vs a new one.

This is as good as I could find, an 88k engine:

364728d1399646724-timing-chain-stretch-image-3860559028.jpg

A new chain will stretch quite quickly at first when fitted and run then it will be very gradual over the years until eventually it will reach its limit where you may start to experience issues.

That's why I wanted the grinspeed picture. It shows 4 or 5 chains at different levels of stretch. They don't consistently stretch to a designed plastic deformation. If they do, they regularly continue to stretch beyond that. As I recall it, the best of the bunch was stretched something similar to the one I posted.

I've had enough of saying this over and over again. I'm done. Y'all do what you want. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Had mine changed around 85-90k when I did the oil pump, everything still looked like new with barely any stretch.
Highly depends how well the engine's been serviced and driven throughout it's life personally.

Bounced off the limiter daily / ran low on oil etc then I'd get it inspected during a valve clearance check as a minimum.

Mine is on 104k and it has not been changed, the valve clearances have not been done either and while I was in the mindset of doing both as soon as I bought it, on 102k, they engine purrs along perfectly, no rattle chain and nothing out of the ordinary.

That said, I will probably still get both done for peace of mind, but I am sure you can leave either to 200k and still have no problems. That does depend on driving style, quality of oil used and how the car's engine has been maintained prior to your ownership.

Back