• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Prefacelift EP3 Headlights - White Light?

Hey guys I've bought these halogen bulbs. The colour temperature for the new one is rated 5000k and my old one was around 3000k. I thought the new ones would look whiter but they pretty much look identical to my previous bulbs which were yellow.
https://www.ebay.com.au/urw/write-review/22021549117?_itm=111176993235&_trn=1881187054001&nltn=cv1SulQYWxoP8FR

I'm thinking of just getting an LED kit such as this (its plug and play):
https://www.auxbeam.com/gt-series-90w-super-bright-led-headlight-bulbs?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=Klaus&utm_campaign=GD000555utm_content=channel&utm_term=20181023?to_country=?to_country=AU&to_country=US

Has anyone changed their prefacelift light bulbs to whiter light ones? I really don't like the ones I have right now, they're yellow and aren't very bright at all. So I'm thinking of getting LEDs.

Here's what my headlights look like right now:
lbCPetJ.jpg

MOT changes might make moving to non-filament bulbs a difficulty unless you get something which has a very similar beam pattern and isn't too obvious. Even then I suspect they have the right to fail you, so unless it's somewhere friendly you might need to keep the old ones on hand.

Which bulbs did you go for? I've been running Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs and they're definitely whiter, but nowhere near what a HID or LED would be, and that's to be expected.

Just get a decent HID kit, 55W 6000k is pretty much crystal white and matches 5k/6k LED bulbs just fine. I ll take a picture later when I pick up my car.

That said you need to have facelift lights with projectors for the above, otherwise it looks tacky af and the light pattern is all over the place. You can also hide the ballasts under the lights and have a pretty neat setup.

You can also hide the ballasts under the lights and have a pretty neat setup.

That's the standard mount position for the JDM ballasts (they also have some nice caps for the back of the projector rather than the rubber grommet used for incandescents, I'd love to know where I could get those - and the JDM ballast too).

Hey guys I've bought these halogen bulbs. The colour temperature for the new one is rated 5000k and my old one was around 3000k. I thought the new ones would look whiter but they pretty much look identical to my previous bulbs which were yellow.
https://www.ebay.com.au/urw/write-review/22021549117?_itm=111176993235&_trn=1881187054001&nltn=cv1SulQYWxoP8FR

I'm thinking of just getting an LED kit such as this (its plug and play):
https://www.auxbeam.com/gt-series-90w-super-bright-led-headlight-bulbs?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=Klaus&utm_campaign=GD000555utm_content=channel&utm_term=20181023?to_country=?to_country=AU&to_country=US

Has anyone changed their prefacelift light bulbs to whiter light ones? I really don't like the ones I have right now, they're yellow and aren't very bright at all. So I'm thinking of getting LEDs.

Here's what my headlights look like right now:
lbCPetJ.jpg

I just bought a set of these, they won't pass the mot , you'll need to swap them back to the normal bulbs for the mot, the high beam is not the best, but the dip is amazing without blinding on coming traffic - plug and play no mods needed...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-H...ie=UTF8&qid=1543500118&sr=8-6&keywords=LED+H4

My lad fitted 5000k lamps and the clear plastic started to go opaque, so he swapped them back and fitted a HiD kit, no problems after that.

Trev

MOT changes might make moving to non-filament bulbs a difficulty unless you get something which has a very similar beam pattern and isn't too obvious. Even then I suspect they have the right to fail you, so unless it's somewhere friendly you might need to keep the old ones on hand.

Which bulbs did you go for? I've been running Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs and they're definitely whiter, but nowhere near what a HID or LED would be, and that's to be expected.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the MOT (I live in Aus), I just wanted to know how the beam pattern is because I don't wanna blind other people driving or getting pulled over by cops.

Just get a decent HID kit, 55W 6000k is pretty much crystal white and matches 5k/6k LED bulbs just fine. I ll take a picture later when I pick up my car.

That said you need to have facelift lights with projectors for the above, otherwise it looks tacky af and the light pattern is all over the place. You can also hide the ballasts under the lights and have a pretty neat setup.

I've looked into swapping to facelift lights, but it's not practical for me to do so. Parts are hard to get here. I've seen a detailed prefacelift to facelift headlight conversion thread on Ozhonda (honda forums based in Aus), where some guy did it but it took him a really long time and a ton of money to do so (1000 AUD+). I could get a nice set of wheels for that price haha

I just bought a set of these, they won't pass the mot , you'll need to swap them back to the normal bulbs for the mot, the high beam is not the best, but the dip is amazing without blinding on coming traffic - plug and play no mods needed...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-H...ie=UTF8&qid=1543500118&sr=8-6&keywords=LED+H4

My lad fitted 5000k lamps and the clear plastic started to go opaque, so he swapped them back and fitted a HiD kit, no problems after that.

Trev

Cheers for the reply boys, I reckon I'm gonna purchase an LED kit like the one CR54WDS bought. They seem easier and cheaper than a HID conversion or a facelift headlight conversion.

Hey guys, does the wattage for headlight bulbs matter? Does it have to be 60W or under or is it okay to use 70W? Cheers

I also bought a pair of Novsight H4 LED bulbs for my 03 EP3. They are easy to fit and are very impressive, much better than halogens and colour temp is 6500, so very white. They cost £23 a pair on ebay, so comparable with decent halogens, and beam pattern is very well controlled. Regarding MOT, another thread here quoted that washers and levellers must work IF FITTED, so could probably get away without.

I also bought a pair of Novsight H4 LED bulbs for my 03 EP3. They are easy to fit and are very impressive, much better than halogens and colour temp is 6500, so very white. They cost £23 a pair on ebay, so comparable with decent halogens, and beam pattern is very well controlled. Regarding MOT, another thread here quoted that washers and levellers must work IF FITTED, so could probably get away without.

I was close to ordering a Novsight but I took a trip down to my local auto shop and grabbed a pair of these:

F5a3p6Y.jpg

They're good. Bright and very easy to install. Now my only problem is adjusting my bulb housings as they are out of place. Everyone on the road thinks I have my high beams on :(

Novsight

The pair of Novsight H4s cost £23 on ebay, so maybe $35, and they come with a mounting flange which is separate from the bulb - you fit the flange first and then push in the Led bulb and you can rotate it until you hopefully have the correct beam pattern. I have literally had just one or two flashes in 2 weeks, probably about normal. The pattern is actually better than the original H4s.

I was close to ordering a Novsight but I took a trip down to my local auto shop and grabbed a pair of these:

F5a3p6Y.jpg

They're good. Bright and very easy to install. Now my only problem is adjusting my bulb housings as they are out of place. Everyone on the road thinks I have my high beams on :(

Sorry I just saw maybe $AUD, so £23 would be around $40

QUOTE=Threadbare;1390126]The pair of Novsight H4s cost £23 on ebay, so maybe $35, and they come with a mounting flange which is separate from the bulb - you fit the flange first and then push in the Led bulb and you can rotate it until you hopefully have the correct beam pattern. I have literally had just one or two flashes in 2 weeks, probably about normal. The pattern is actually better than the original H4s.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I just saw maybe $AUD, so £23 would be around $40

The pair of Novsight H4s cost £23 on ebay, so maybe $35, and they come with a mounting flange which is separate from the bulb - you fit the flange first and then push in the Led bulb and you can rotate it until you hopefully have the correct beam pattern. I have literally had just one or two flashes in 2 weeks, probably about normal. The pattern is actually better than the original H4s.

Yeah fair enough, my one didn't come with a mounting flange. I just plugged it in how the halogen bulbs were plugged. However, since the LED bulbs are bigger because of the heat sink, the rubber light bulb boots don't fit anymore :(

Also my driver's side bulb seems to be on high beam while the passenger side is normal when I turn my low/normal beam on. When I turn the high beam on, it's vice versa. I'll tinker with it when I have spare time. I probably also need to adjust the housing to point more down. We'll see how it goes. But for the meantime, I'm just gonna avoid driving in the dark :lol:

Back