• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New Owner - Hi

Hi

On Wednesday I had the pleasure of picking up my 8 month old FK8 in Championship White (Or more of a cream, as 2 friends have pointed out to me)
Traded in my Citroen DS3 Sport, as I have wanted a Type R for a few years, and I am absolutely loving it. although finding all the stuff a bit overwhelming, and consulting the manual quite a bit, trying to find out what is what!

Been a member/following this forum for a long time now, just for research purposes, and found this place very useful (and persuasive when it came to pushing the button on the purchase)

Couple of questions regarding how you guys do stuff, that I am still busy processing:

Allow Wheel Insurance - I read the post about using GapInsurance .co.uk and wondered if this is still decent, and if any alternatives, as I am cr*ping myself about scratching my alloys, and would like to invest in some insurance for them!

Servicing - The dealership where i purchased the car, are offering me a 3 year service plan, for £950 - i wondered if this seems reasonable, and what sort of stuff you guys pay, I know this has been covered in the past but they all seemed to be from Honda for the brand new cars, the 599 plan etc, which is not available for me, as the car is 2nd hand.

Any info/tips appreciated!

Welcome to the forum ColdWind!!! Certainly an apt name at the moment..!

Great colour choice...! (just don't dink it, as I had the smart repairers out and the match was so horrific so they are coming back tomorrow to respray the rear bumer) What did you get it for any how many miles if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know much about wheel insurance, only certain repairers don't feel competent enough to do them, so make sure any policy does cover the Fk8's. I have damaged 3 now, but I am ok with it and can finally sleep at night as Halfords gloss black is a good match and you can hardly see it. Plus the winter ahead is no doubt going to buckle a couple more (one in the shed already bent as a 9 bob)

I got the 5 year servicing with it being new, and I have no idea how much a normal service costs so not sure if that is good value or not..

I've also got the 5yr service plan so can't really help there other than say that the Dealer I used said the break even point where it was worth taking was 2 services.

Alloy insurance is a add one. I've got some high end cars with expensive alloys and never given any thought to taking out any sort of insurance for them. In saying that I've never damaged any of them over the years. However, I've had to have 2 FK8 alloys repaired... once (stupidly) from kerbing and another I assume from a pothole. Each repair has been less than £100 so it's not really a biggie, but it's certainly something I might at least have given a bit more thought to. They are very large wheels with very low profile tyres.

Enjoy the car!!

How much did your 5 year plan cost, the FK2 was £500 but on Hondas site the fixed rate for petrols is £895.

Okay thank you for the info, I'll do a bit more looking into price for servicing and alloy wheel insurance, but if you paid<£100 for getting an FK8 alloy repaired, then that sounds reasonable to me, as hopefully there wont be many refurbs reqired.

Regarding the car, it has 4,800 on the clock, and I paid £28,500 for it (Which i thought was reasonable...i hope :lol: )

good price vs new and nice and run in

You just need to get through this winter then you will see what a different beast it is in the spring...with you know, traction and stuff.

I had the pleasure to test drive one not too long ago after finally convincing myself that it doesn't look too terrible (at the rear), and all I can say is.. that you are a lucky man :)

Enjoy the car, it was one of the best I've driven. Has it's cons but the pros outweigh those massively.

I assume you went for GT Pack?

Yeah tell me about it, its been pretty much raining since i bought it! I am finding all of the bits and pieces a bit overwhelming atm. I had my DS3 for 6 years, so the tech inside was a bit dated. So its nice to be shot into the current day, with all the new stuff (no 'handbrake', auto engine shut off, driving assists etc) I am forever consulting the manual haha

on the looks, two very recent examples. 1) Picking the missus up from Luton Airport, get diverted into a lane by the police, drug, weapon and explosive search etc( thankfully we handed them off before we got in the car), but then 10 mins talking about the car and how he loves the looks.....2) then a bloke at the lights in a van, just flat out laughing and pointing at the car, window down, 'sorry mate but that's hideous' - to which I just smiled, thanked him and wished him a safe onward journey.

The car creates conversation and for me that's what its all about.

Yeah tell me about it, its been pretty much raining since i bought it! I am finding all of the bits and pieces a bit overwhelming atm. I had my DS3 for 6 years, so the tech inside was a bit dated. So its nice to be shot into the current day, with all the new stuff (no 'handbrake', auto engine shut off, driving assists etc) I am forever consulting the manual haha

Just watch the collision avoidance breaking, as that freaked fook out of me first time. I have it off now, but its a personal one...

Can the auto engine switch off be deactivated on the fk8, god knows what Honda were thinking sticking that on a Type R, worst thing ever and it's the 1st thing I switch off every time

Yeah, I appreciated the looks are very Marmite-ish for others
No a massive fan of the auto-cut off, so most likely will turn it off.

Due to my work commute, I am thinking of getting some form of mud flaps installed, as some of the roads have a lot of loose debris, and I'm a bit worried about stuff pinging up, hoping mud flaps will help with this, I saw the Rally Armor ones on this forum, in another thread, and quite fancy the look of them, and the fact i should be able to self install without having to remove the wheels, or do any drilling.

I'd seriously look in to self healing clear wrap for the front end and rear fenders, regret not getting mine done as it's pebble dash heaven

I'd seriously look in to self healing clear wrap for the front end and rear fenders, regret not getting mine done as it's pebble dash heaven

This for sure, my car has loads, even the R badge on the front is chipped. I tend to go on car runs with RWD super cars, always fun hustling them along the roads but negative car gets peppered with debris :D

yep, as soon as got her I 'PPF'd' the areas behind the front wheels, the front and reat inner arches etc, but it was only some 3M stuff off ebay, not professional by any means but by and large its done the trick after a few re-applications...

Didn't do the front bumper though and that's taken a battering. On the champ white the stone chips are a weird brown colour ( for me anyway!). Worst places are just next to the fog lights where you have the 3/4 little box vents that feed into the wheel arches and the 'crease' where it swoops round left or right to the wing. Purely where the airflows I guess..

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally washed mine yesterday and the bonnet is chipped in quite a few places, front splitter has one and being plastic it's a black chip on CW paint, rear splitters where they meet the doors are basically pebble dashed, windscreen is another victim, must have at least 4-5 chips, 2 last week by one car and a few hundred yards on the next car got me as well

Finally washed mine yesterday and the bonnet is chipped in quite a few places, front splitter has one and being plastic it's a black chip on CW paint, rear splitters where they meet the doors are basically pebble dashed, windscreen is another victim, must have at least 4-5 chips, 2 last week by one car and a few hundred yards on the next car got me as well

sounds like its time to upgrade to a FK8 mate...:D

Back