• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 First grand on mods, what now?

I planned to spend up to a grand on mods to get the car somewhere better, I may have blown that already. What should I do next?

So far.......

Rota Boost alloys
AD08r tyres
Stoptech front pads, Brembo rears
JDM rarb, polybushed front and rear arbs
Meyle HD droplinks
Camber bolts and arms with frsu
Hardrace tie rod ends
Injen 3" cold air intake/Hybrid racing velocity stack
5Zigen pro racer 2.5" catback with 4" exit
J's Racing c pillar brace and Alutec boot brace
Acuity shifter bushes
Revotech short shifter
Fog scoops

My recommendation would be KPro and map. Get it rev mapped (talk to Dotty). When I drove his DC5 I was amazed by that. VTec like normal when driving like Miss Daisy, plant your foot and it comes in at like 3,500 rpm. Totally transforms the car imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely gonna get it mapped, but no decat. Not sure where that leaves me for additional power mods. I guess rbc or similar and maybe a DC5 4-2 and cat. Also thinking of reducing wheel hop, but don't want vibration, maybe an ETD. I have the upper gearbox mount insert in the garage, does that help?

Definitely gonna get it mapped, but no decat. Not sure where that leaves me for additional power mods. I guess rbc or similar and maybe a DC5 4-2 and cat. Also thinking of reducing wheel hop, but don't want vibration, maybe an ETD. I have the upper gearbox mount insert in the garage, does that help?
I'd say next would be a bit more power. I'd go for an rbc which I happen to have for sale and a dc5 manifold and cat which you can port a bit to match the head. Either that or standard manifold and you'll make nice power with a huge midrange gain and the delivery is a huge improvement. Plus higher rev limit and 'launch control' are also good fun. All of that will need a kpro/k100 and a remap to go with it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

If you come down and get it I'll take you for a spin in my 350bhp rotrex ep3. I'm glad I didn't go for a shorter final drive now its boosted! But at the time I was so close to going for the final drive as well, I was just a bit weary of the day to day driving with it screaming all the time!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Like Chris said decent set of coilovers to maximise the handling,
Or think about an LSD,
The mount inserts will reduce the wheel hop considerably I wouldnt worry about the vibrations, you dont feel any when moving only when stationary and I find it easy to live with. I put them in with brand new genuine mounts too.

I had rear engine mount inserts and although you don't feel it when moving it certainly increased cabin vibration (noises behind the dash, behind the door cards, etc. at particular revs). All those noises are an absolute hard to track down and even harder to fix.

Car needs to go lower, so I'd say coilovers at the very least.

Not sure how much power is gained without a 4-2-1 manifold, anyone had this done before with just intake, catback and RBC ?

People had them mapped back in the day with just an intake and cat back. Doesn’t make a huge difference but every little helps.

People had them mapped back in the day with just an intake and cat back. Doesn’t make a huge difference but every little helps.

But if you are going to spend a grand, I expect more than a 10hp improvement and some more torque lol.

Just an intake and exhaust with remap would make more than 10 bhp peak, more 15 to 20 bhp - but the big win is 30 to 35 bhp gained around 5,500 rpm (around 20% more power)

It’s not just about pub figures. It’s about getting the car working how you want it. With a good map you can smooth the power delivery, bring down the VTec engagement etc. It will transform the car in ways that are better than bragging rights.

Car needs to go lower, so I'd say coilovers at the very least.

Not sure how much power is gained without a 4-2-1 manifold, anyone had this done before with just intake, catback and RBC ?

Seen them make 220-230 (top end) without a 4-2-1, nearer 230 with JDM manifold.

But plenty midrange gains to be had still

mine that was running 240 didn't feel much faster but was so much smoother throughout and not dropping out of VTEC on gear changes makes a big difference.

what i'm trying to say is 200, 220 or 240, doesnt matter that much as long you notice the difference in the drive

Last edited by a moderator:
That might save me some money then :p
I'll either map it now on cai and catback or see if I come across a DC5 exhaust manifold and cat in the meantime. The vtec adjustment and extra mid range is the big plus for me.

My DC5 was 256bhp and 198lbs Torque. It had a crappy map on it though on an older Dastek Chip (came with the car). When I drove Dottys with the KPro, with rev mapping, lowered VTec etc. the cars felt worlds apart. My map was more like an aggressive version of the OEM, just smoothed out a little. Dottys map was custom to him, and it actually inspired you to push the car harder as you knew the power delivery was on tap, whereas I had to keep mine in the higher revs.

Most arse dynos will never feel 20-30bhp, no matter what they say. What you will feel with a good map is the power being smoother, and it will always be there when you need it without wringing the neck of the car.

Norv, still thinking about your rbc, just need some funds in the next few weeks :)

I should have got the 5.1fd put in when I had my clutch fitted.

https://youtu.be/0TF5kszVeRQ

5.1 FD and the LSD are the best things I've done to mine while it's still on standard power :D Would recommend the long 6th gear too if you were to go down that route if you use the car on motorways or do long runs.

Back