• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Stuck Rear Caliper, what to do?

7DT

Passenger rear is seized/stuck on my facelift EP3, as demonstrated by an awesome scraping sound (started after applying brakes yesterday) and the ability to cook an egg on the disc after a drive.

I guess there's:
- Rebuild the caliper, in which case, what do I need (and is it worth the effort)
- Buy new calipers (best place?)
- Refurbed calipers with an exchange (again, where's the best place?)
- Realize that as much as I like working on cars, it's a)cold, b)wet and that I should take it to a garrage and get ripped off (the least sensible option probably).

Anyway, from the above, who's used what, how did it work out, how much did it cost?

Is it the caliper itself that's stuck, or the slide pins? If it's the pins they can be replaced for a small quantity of money. It'll be a little bit of effort to clean and clear where the old pin managed to wedge itself before re-grease etc.

I generally do that when I replace the pads just to be sure.

Check the pins and regrease, be my first port of call. The rears are more of a PITA than the fronts if you want to take off and replace the Caliper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep could be the sliders seized, so long as they come out ok its easy to sort them. Stick them in a drill to spin them with some sand paper around them cleans them up quickly.
If its the piston seized I would just change the whole unit saves the hassle and not nice working outside this time of year. Brakes international do the rear calipers. I think I've got a new one still in the box in the garage actually.

I changed the front calipers on my EP3 yesterday for refurbished genuine Nissin ones with the Type-R logo (I have a Premier Edition). Got the pair on Ebay for around £250 and they are working great now. As said, not very pleasant doing it on the drive in the wind and rain at this time of year though.

I changed one of my rears back in the summer, the handbrake mechanism within the caliper had failed and seized on. This may be your problem and you can test for it by manually moving the handbrake arm on the caliper and see how well it moves. I also got a refurbed genuine nissin pair from ebay and then painted it red. I was skeptical of changing mine because of the added compexity of the handbrake mechanism. Theres a few tricks to it but it wasnt too bad.

Back