• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Jerking at steady throttle and acceleration - O2 sensor?

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I have experienced weird jerking of the car (when accelerating and at steady throttle as well), then the CEL came on with a P0135 (Primary O2 sensor) code. I cleared the code to see if it would come back on, but it didn't, and the car started running fine again, I drove a few hundred kms with the car feeling like normal, then today the following happened:

I started the car (engine cold), and immediately after pulling away it started jerking horrendously, it would rev in neutral but as soon as I let the clutch out there was no throttle, I pressed the pedal more and more (till about half-way) then after a couple seconds it would rev up quickly, then back to no power, repeat. I quickly turned around and parked the car.

My question is:
Can the O2 sensor alone cause this problem? I've tried changing it, but it is stuck very hard, so if that is the problem, I am going to find a mechanic to change it for me.
Could there be any other sensor that is failing to cause such symptoms?

Thank you for your answers

Possibly o2 sensor or your IACV needs cleaning. Google it or search on here, there’s a few threads. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have cleaned the IACV a few thousand kms back, so the only thing left would be the O2 sensor then.

If I cut the O2 sensor, then the car would just run in open-loop and all the jerking would disappear, right? Rather have my organs in their correct position than a few extra ml of gas when I drive to the mechanic :D

Sounds like it could be a few things but with the code displaying for the o2 sensor that's probably the best place to start.
When you tried to remove it did you manage to get it disconnected and a ring spanner down the wire and over the nut, they can be well in so best to get a good hold on it rather than just the open end of a spanner risking rounding it off.

Heat and WD40 is the easiest way to get those out. And a lot of patience. When we did the one for my DC5 it literally fell to pieces. Got it cherry red and crossed our fingers. Came out in the end though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main problem is the electrical connector being stuck. Since there is not much space I couldn't even figure out if it has 1 or 2 retaining tabs. I am gonna disconnect the battery and try with WD40, hope it will come loose eventually.
For the sensor itself I bought the special socket, so I'm gonna have a go with a breaker bar later.

Thanks for the replies, I rented a car lift and went at it with a spanner and a hammer after the cat fully warmed up, managed to get it off with a lot of effort, turns out the thread was stripped. Replaced it and the car ran like new! :)

Back