• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Gearbox Rebuild

With all the work recently done to my car it has made it feel and drive like new, but one thing has been made apparent and that is gearbox noise. I have no problem changing gears at any RPM and the box feels great when cold too, it has had a fluid change and an additive which has helped with the noise but there is some whine coming out in 4th gear especially (at around 35-40mph). It's worth noting that the clutch, flywheel, and driveshafts are new. Buying a second hand box is out of the question as that is just chancing it, you never really know what mileage it's on and if it won't end up in the same condition as mine after 10k miles.

With that said, how much am I looking at for a refurb of the gearbox with mainly OEM components from a reputable company? As much as I'd love an LSD, carbon syncros, FD and longer 6th, they are basically as much as a decent deposit for a newish car...

I will be speaking to TGM about this later this week but first wanted to see what your views are.

If you were going to all the trouble of removing the box, splitting and it, it would be a shame to at least not fit an LSD

If you were going to all the trouble of removing the box, splitting and it, it would be a shame to at least not fit an LSD

A decent LSD is £700 ish mate, I hope to not pay much more than that for the entire rebuild if possible, so it's not really on the cards. Although that £2k brand new box looks great but it says out of stock and I'd have to question if I want to drop that in a 14 year old car lol.

Also if needed I can take the box out and put it back in myself, so only the labour and the parts is what I need.

Red R performance seem to do this service, what do you guys think: https://red-r-performance.com/engine-gearbox-rebuilds/ ?

Grinspeed if you want your gearbox done properly. They do an exchange service too, if you swap them your old knackered one and they don't mind you removing and fitting your own from and to the car...

Grinspeed if you want your gearbox done properly. They do an exchange service too, if you swap them your old knackered one and they don't mind you removing and fitting your own from and to the car...

That sounds pretty good, only issue is they are about 4 hours away, but if it comes to it I could get a courier to take the box there. Thanks

So I just spoke to Grinspeed, and this is the quote I received:

£800.83 for the Mfactory Master Rebuild Kit which includes
– MFactory R&D (Synchrotech®) High Durability Sliders
– MFactory R&D (Synchrotech®) Carbon-Composite Synchros
– MFactory R&D (Synchrotech®) Zinc-Plated Synchro Springs
– OEM Mainshaft & Countershaft Bearings + C-Clip
– OEM Oil Seals & Dust Boot

£502.50 for Labour

£35 for Oil and Sealer

Total: Around £1350

This is assuming no gears need changing, after searching through google for a bit it seems like 4th gear whine was normal on cars with 12k mileage back when they were new....

If gears do need replacing they are £95 each at Grinspeed.

Not too bad, I will speak to TGM tonight and see what they can do as well and then decide what route to take.

Any news on this i'm was looking at going to TGM for this as well.

Spoke to Tom and after a long chat, he showed me around the workshop where they had about 4 boxes split being rebuilt. It was a really good experience as he walks you through exactly what usually wears out and you can see the damage on the old components.

That said, he then drove my car for a while and told me that it doesn't need opening up at all and the little whine I can hear is nothing compared to what boxes he has seen needing rebuilt. With that said he gave me some figures, for example the labour to remove the box, open it up (change whatever components) and then seal it all back up and put on the car is around 450 + VAT (7 hours ish). The best way to go about it is to let them open it and see what has actually worn out, prior to buying parts like the Mfactory Rebuild kit for example (which doesn't actually come with everything you need, but it depends on the wear and tear on your components).

So yeah long story short I won't be touching my box for now, since I don't get any gear grinds, any troubles with shifting or getting into gear at high RPM, it is just that tiny bit of whine at certain gears/RPM. I ll get the oil changed and an additive added.

Back