• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mk1 Eunos Roadster (MX5)

Sort of what I'm thinking.
But for putting £200 into the wheels, I think in a couple years time they'll fetch that if I sell them on. So that's not really wasted money on them. And year spacers are a good shout.

What coilovers are you recommending? Seems to be around £350 for a decent set. Not sure I see the worth in anything in the £500 drift range.

And also to check, everything that's MX5 also fits the Eunos? Or Enuos as she's now known.

Yeah MX, Eunos & Miata all the same car just different names. What fits one will fit all.

For coil overs Tein Street Basis are decent and not too firm. Meisters are supposed to be great. If you can stretch to it BC are the best for MK1’s. I’ve been in a car with them and the ride was superb. Compliant yet really inspiring to push the car a little harder. Get a good geo setup once they’re on as lowering an MX really affects the setup. The lower you go, the more camber will go on. If you slam the car, expect around 6-7 degree negative on the rear and around 3-4 on the front. Great for sideways action, not so great for tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and with regards to coilies, the more you put into the more you’ll get out. The MX5/Eunos is one of those cars where you really can tell even the smallest of geometry and suspension changes. Trust me. I went from OEM setup to a kind of street/drift setup and the difference was like night and day. I had -2.5 degree camber in the front and -4 on the rear (being a 1.6 it needed all the help it could get to stay sideways). They really do feel like a different car, even with the smallest of changes.

Small update:
Debadged her today and gave it a good outside clean, polish and wax. It's come up looking really good. The photo doesn't give the shine enough justice.

The front numberplate mount was damaged, so I've removed that and have a side plate mount on order.
Also the lower front grille is non existent. I didn't realise it has had chicken wire put in its place. I'm guessing from a pheasant hit or some such thing.
So I've got a new lower grille in black coming as well as a front lip splitter.
Something I've noticed is I don't think I want to go any lower with the car as the roads around here not to mention the lip to my driveway won't cope with anything lower. So with a splitter it'll look a bit lower.

On debadging it's left a couple of holes from the Eunos boot badge and the front badge too, strange not the roadster boot badge.

So now after some thought I've decided to go a bit of a different way in the spending.

I'm going to wait till march when I tax and insure it and I'll take her to a garage near my work that does classic car restoration and see what price they'll want to fill a few holes, sort out some nasty scratches, a small dent in front wing, the whole rear number plate surround panel needs a sanding and spray as it's gone quite glazey, and then give it a general tidy up.
If it's throwing a grand at it then I'll do that, as then I can enjoy her knowing she looks good and original.
Then I'll start doing mods from next winter.
Sadly money isn't limitless so I have to do stuff in stages and this feels the best path for me.

Nasty group of scratches on one side of the boot
vBsAc4t.jpg

wEmqHPi.jpg

Also what are these chrome clips? Boot luggage rack?
(I'm gonna remove aerial and blank off)
k0zNOGq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it, glad you got it!

They are so fun to drive and so easy/cheap to mod again with so much choice.

Another nice little cheap mod I did was getting rid of the rear fog on the bumper, and replacing one of the reverse light bulbs for a fog, just a new switch and a little wiring.
But cleans up the rear end well I think.

Laguna blue is a stunning colour though :cool:

I've started looking again at MK1 & 2's. They're an addictive little bugger of a car. Thinking of possibly buying a cheapy as a project car, and doing a full wide arch kit, proper wide wheels. Sort of a show car, but i'll still use it on the roads.

Nice one, glad you got it in the end. Look forward to seeing what you do with it :D

looks good love a mk1. I've had 2 of them in the past. At one stage I owned them both at the same time!

A little update.

Fitted the new lower grille after removing the chicken wire:rolleyes:
It looks great, why the original person didn't spend £30 on a proper grille is beyond me.

Then fitted the offset number plate bracket and import plate.
The original mount was all busted and tapped together.

I do like the offset look.

Gave the interior a good clean and realised I don't need a new carpet set, so that money has now been assigned to something else that I've been thinking for a while and have decided to just do it and see how it looks. Watch this space.
Also decided to get new wheels, looking at sparco drifts, I think they will look great. So I'll get them ordered in February.

I also need to get the holes from the removal of the badge and number plate plinth from the front bumper filled and resprayed. I'll wait till I can drive it to the shop for that.

Planned new wheels
LNEQbOq.jpg

Chicken wire grille
PP2l2CQ.jpg

Now
r65YrpU.jpg

Looking great. And I really like those wheels. Just make sure you get a good offset on them as the MX just looks so good with nice flush wheels :cool:

Looking great. And I really like those wheels. Just make sure you get a good offset on them as the MX just looks so good with nice flush wheels :cool:

They'll need spacers. Offset is 35, same as factory. 20mm is flush with bodywork. So 15-20mm spacers will be just right.

It's coming along well, not sure I am a fan of those wheels though. Maybe they will look better in person. Are you getting them in black?

It's coming along well, not sure I am a fan of those wheels though. Maybe they will look better in person. Are you getting them in black?

I've changed the wheel choice now.
I ordered these on Monday.
I liked the sparco, but just decided these ones suit it a bit better.
And yeah they are in black.
zW1LhLJ.jpg

They always look good on an MX. The dish on them makes them seem way wider than they are, meaning they look really good in the arches :cool:

Got my wheels on last weekend, and today I fitted my newly painted rear panel.

I absolutely love the look from the back. But still need to sort out the fog light

I've had a few issues with the wheels.

I bought them and the tyres separately, then took them to my local garage and asked him to fit them and balance them. £12 a wheel ain't bad.

Got chatting to the owner and he's competing in the MX race series in a MK3 for the first time this season, having given up Mascars (British NASCAR effectively)
So it's good to have him on my doorstep.
Anyway, when I picked them up the next day I was kind of surprised with the amount of wheel weights on them. They had at least 12-20 on each wheel, but didn't notice till I got home, plus they're chrome on my black wheels. Not great.
They sat in my garage ready to fit for a couple of weeks, then fitted them last weekend. Went for a quick blast up the road, got back and parked her up in my garage.
Then today when I went out to fit the rear panel I noticed a wheel weight laying on the floor, went round and looked at all the wheels and there are only about ten in total still stuck.

I reckon because they were new they had a kind of oily feel to them that should have been cleaned before sticking on the weights.

I'll take it back to him this week and ask him to sort it.

The other problem I've got is as it's not taxed or insured yet I can't go for a proper drive, only a blast down a road near me is all I dare. And today doing so I'm getting a ticking noise under acceleration. Come off the gas it stops.

It might just be it needs to be driven as she's sat for a long long time.

Anyway, I'm going to tax it in May for six months. And I'm going to take it to here. It's about 40 mins away and he's one of the best around. So I'll get him to just go over the whole thing and see if he picks anything up.
http://www.mx5expert.com/

wxP5OOr.jpg

o7o2ay5.jpg

I've got one of these on order in Satan black to match the wheels and rear panel.
Should have it by March and I'll fit it in April.
This is getting paid for with the sale of the original BBS off the car. But I won't fit harnesses to start off.
qgLHDDM.jpg

Looking great bud. I always love the look of the unmatched rear panel. I love the look it gives.

What roll bar is that? I had the 5 Race one and the fit was a dream. No having to cut through the rear bulkhead or awkward drilling. Just fit and forget.
I actually ended up welding it in after a while to add a bit more rigidity. As I was seam welding some parts of the shell it just made sense and it was like an hour's work at the most.

It's from a place called GC Fabrication.

They're Ipswich based, so only 30 mins away. They do some really good stuff, it's the same design as a TR Lane bar.

I've also got some clear side lenses on order.

I know GC, heard good things about those bars. Good idea on getting the built in harness bar. Mine didn't have that but i'd already got the OEM type one, so I didn't have much need for it.

Back