• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

Hi everybody,

Does any of you own the 2019 CTR face-lift? Or has one ordered?

There will be an important change in Euro zone- the particulate filter. I wonder how will it impact performance and engine/exhaust sound?

Also it's rumored(no part numbers yet) that transmission issues were addressed. So it would be interesting to see if any improvement in practice.

There is no face lift fella just a volume knob and some physical buttons

Good question around the particulate filter though

what, really?! the death of touchy non-tactile bits has begun?! praise jesus!
whoever thought touch interfaces in cars (other than satnav/audio) is a good idea needs a damn good kickin' and deserves a special place in ice hell with glitchy & unresponsive touchscreens wearing eskimo mittens.

I'd be tempted but Honda being asses about warranty is properly off-putting.

Never had a problem with warranty. Honda Reading replaced my buzzing centre speaker within a week. They also checked my tracking and alignment free of charge when I complained about inner tyre wear.

But you haven't tried claiming for a gearbox, you've just been lucky. A quick google yields plenty of results on the FK2 and FK8.

As Chris says there are plenty of incidents documented on the web. Check US forums for example. Most of them are enthusiasts, having experience with manuals anyway.
Some here might have had positive experience with Honda dealerships. But when I read about other unsuccessful ones I'm not convinced to take the risk.

I postponed getting this car waiting for a fix. I have an ok car(Bmw 420d) and I'd have to give it up if I buy the Type R. I do like 4-5k miles per year so can't justify keeping 2 cars. This makes the choice harder, reliability being important.
On the other hand this particulate filter could take away from its character.
I'm curious how it looks this 2019 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Chris says there are plenty of incidents documented on the web. Check US forums for example. Most of them are enthusiasts, having experience with manuals anyway.
Some here might have had positive experience with Honda dealerships. But when I read about other unsuccessful ones I'm not convinced to take the risk.

I postponed getting this car waiting for a fix. I have an ok car(Bmw 420d) and I'd have to give it up if I buy the Type R. I do like 4-5k miles per year so can't justify keeping 2 cars. This makes the choice harder, reliability being important.
On the other hand this particulate filter could take away from its character.
I'm curious how it looks this 2019 model.

If the gearbox issue is fixed, you can always buy the new car and remove the particulate filter :)

It's all a bunch of emissions cr*p and unlike a diesel it won't smoke like a chimney when the DPF is removed lol.

I am not disputing that there is a gearbox issue. I have seen it first hand.

Just been lucky enough to be one of those that got a good one. I've certainly tested it during my 5 track days this year. Maybe the change of gearbox oil to AMSOil helped, who knows.

I wonder what the percentage of cars that have had gearbox issues is... I bet it's not a lot considering they are close to 8,000 cars produced already. Even if it was 800 cars which I doubt is true it's a 1 in 10 chance of getting a bad gearbox. It's likely fewer than 100 cars out of the 8,000 produced so far which is around 1.25%.

Never had a problem with warranty. Honda Reading replaced my buzzing centre speaker within a week. They also checked my tracking and alignment free of charge when I complained about inner tyre wear.

But you haven't tried claiming for a gearbox, you've just been lucky. A quick google yields plenty of results on the FK2 and FK8.

i've had 100% success with honda warranty. until gearbox issue the other month. denied. still got salt in the wound over that.
plus side, 2 clutch replacements, both time it's fixed the notchiness. hopefully this xtreme dual plater will be the right choice and won't have issues any more. again, i think gearbox is a consequence of a fault somewhere else and my experiences show clutch.

May I ask what gearbox issues people are seeing, I only have 150 miles on mine so far and I think the shifts are notchy compared to the 200mile old demo I took out plus I find 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd can elicit a "snick", particularly when cold.

I will pile on the miles before having it looked out including a load of track days but forewarned about any GB issues would be helpful.

Thanks

Eddie

I had that, then realised my gear change was pants! Make gear changes slower and more positive whilst cold, with the clutch fully in.

May I ask what gearbox issues people are seeing, I only have 150 miles on mine so far and I think the shifts are notchy compared to the 200mile old demo I took out plus I find 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd can elicit a "snick", particularly when cold.

I will pile on the miles before having it looked out including a load of track days but forewarned about any GB issues would be helpful.

Thanks

Eddie

I had my gearbox replaced. The replacement gearbox lasted 800 miles before it locked out 4th again (from 5th)

Some people have had no issues, others have had many...

Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that current 2018 CTR model is Euro 6d-Temp compliant. And I saw that Euro 6d-Temp standard is supposed to last for 2019/2020. From 2021 onward there will be the more strict Euro 6d that will require particulate filters for gasoline.

Does anybody know/can find out if the 2019 model is also Euro 6d-Temp? Does it come with the particulate filter installed?

Cars with a decrease in power due to the filter normally get an article on pistonheads etc, like the golf r, s3 which is now below 300bhp

Honda website states euro 6 and 320 ps still....

Cars with a decrease in power due to the filter normally get an article on pistonheads etc, like the golf r, s3 which is now below 300bhp

Honda website states euro 6 and 320 ps still....
Thanks for the info. Makes sense a power decrease. Not to mention the toll on turbo/engine long time reliability.
I checked Honda Uk website and the brochure seem to be still the old ones(edited in 2017). Do we find somewhere the brochures for 2019 European model?

Back