• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Ep3r common issues

Hello all! I recently picked up a jap imported ep3r (135xxxkm) 2002/3, one of the first ones released and just wondering what some of the most common issues are that you guys have had. Slider in the steering rack has been replaced I know that much but just want to know what to look out for and best solutions for problems

Some things that I've noticed are ;

1) Brake master cylinder appears to leak under the 2 main bolts which connect with the booster, are stock replacements the go or is there better aftermarket options?

2) I am aware that the clutch master cylinder in these cars tend to let go due to a poor design and wonder if anyone has solved this problem by changing to a dc5r setup?

3) when I steer the wheel (especially at low speed or when applying brakes) it seems to squeak quite a bit. I greased the uni joint on the steering rack itself from the inside but this doesnt appear to have fixed the issue

4) temp gauge moves up from 1/3 of the way up gauge to halfway during hot weather (35 degrees celsius) with ac on when stopped in traffic but doesnt go past that point, quickly goes down when moving again. Is this normal and should I be worried about a blocked radiator? Thermostat was changed with an OEM replacement very recently as that was blocked up but I want to be sure I dont over heat my engine without changing parts unnecessarily. Coolant temp sender is in perfect working order and no leaks throughout cooling system.

Any and all advice from owners of these cars is much appreciated keen to make sure my little rocket is turn key reliable every day of the year. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1) Stock or after market doesn't really matter. Get them brand new and they'll last a very long time.

2) My OEM CMC broke after 17 years. Personally I'd get a brand new one, just for the piece mind. Have a look at the K-tuned CMC and slave kits or visit your local auto shop and see if they stock CMCs that are compatible with the EP3 (that's what I did).

3)Happens to me sometimes, haven't gotten around to fixing it yet (I thought it would just need some greasing).

4)I think your engine might just be getting heat soaked. It happened to me once, I was stuck in traffic on the freeway on a 35+ degree day, for almost an hour, switching from 1st to neutral over and over again. My temp gauge went up from 1/3 to 3/4, so i took the closest exit and as soon as I picked up some speed the temp went down. I guess this is normal for these kind of cars.

I've been dailying mine for 3-4 months now, driving 80-100km a day. It has held up well. Only time that I gt worried was when my temp gauge went up, but I don't think it's something to worry about.

1) Stock or after market doesn't really matter. Get them brand new and they'll last a very long time.

2) My OEM CMC broke after 17 years. Personally I'd get a brand new one, just for the piece mind. Have a look at the K-tuned CMC and slave kits or visit your local auto shop and see if they stock CMCs that are compatible with the EP3 (that's what I did).

3)Happens to me sometimes, haven't gotten around to fixing it yet (I thought it would just need some greasing).

4)I think your engine might just be getting heat soaked. It happened to me once, I was stuck in traffic on the freeway on a 35+ degree day, for almost an hour, switching from 1st to neutral over and over again. My temp gauge went up from 1/3 to 3/4, so i took the closest exit and as soon as I picked up some speed the temp went down. I guess this is normal for these kind of cars.

I've been dailying mine for 3-4 months now, driving 80-100km a day. It has held up well. Only time that I gt worried was when my temp gauge went up, but I don't think it's something to worry about.
Thanks legend, clumped on the grease and that fixed steering and bled my fluids with OEM Honda brake fluid and behold no leaks turns out the fins on the water pump were wearing out so I replaced it and changed radiator to a dual core mishimoto alloy one seems to have sorted out all the issues.

Heating issue was only a very hot day 35+ stuck in traffic. They need to move. Certainly avoid driving it in overly hot weather anyway. Stick to the workhorse

Now I just need coilovers to replace the knocking front shocks and I will have a mechanically a1 little rocket

Thanks legend, clumped on the grease and that fixed steering and bled my fluids with OEM Honda brake fluid and behold no leaks turns out the fins on the water pump were wearing out so I replaced it and changed radiator to a dual core mishimoto alloy one seems to have sorted out all the issues.

Heating issue was only a very hot day 35+ stuck in traffic. They need to move. Certainly avoid driving it in overly hot weather anyway. Stick to the workhorse

Now I just need coilovers to replace the knocking front shocks and I will have a mechanically a1 little rocket

That's good news man, CMC replacement can be quite expensive. And yeah a new rad is always good and a cold intake may also help with the heat. Planning on doing them myself in the future. Coilovers would be the next sensible makes the car handle and look a lot better :smt023

That's good news man, CMC replacement can be quite expensive. And yeah a new rad is always good and a cold intake may also help with the heat. Planning on doing them myself in the future. Coilovers would be the next sensible makes the car handle and look a lot better :smt023
Stock height is the go. Must say, very impressive car as a standard. Minus exhaust, intake, rad and soon to be coils mine is bone stock. Quite pleased.

Mine is the same colour as yours in the pic, must be a jap import thing cause I haven't seen any other black ones

Champ white is the JDM colour. Black was available everywhere. Blue was EP2 Euro only.

Stock height is the go. Must say, very impressive car as a standard. Minus exhaust, intake, rad and soon to be coils mine is bone stock. Quite pleased.

Mine is the same colour as yours in the pic, must be a jap import thing cause I haven't seen any other black ones

What intake do you currently have?

Champ white is the JDM colour. Black was available everywhere. Blue was EP2 Euro only.

Yeah most, if not all, EPs here in Aus are JDM and a lot of them are in cwhite, so the nhbp EPs are quite rare. But over there in the UK it'd be the complete opposite. Although, I do like the cosmic grey I reckon that looks so good.

Back