• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New modified EP3 owner looking for MOT advice

Hi, i've just bought an Ep3, but unfortunately the MOT is due at the start of next month, and I don't have much time to get it sorted.

According to the advert, the car has the following

"Big brembo front brake kit from a megane rs (all discs and pads are good)
Solid fabrications full 2.5 inch exhaust system (very loud)
Dc sports 4-2-1 manifold
Rbc 70mm inlet manifold
Skunk 2 throttle body adapter
Tegiwa induction kit
Yellow speed coilovers ( i do have a spare set which will come with the car but the n/s/f seal has popped)
Tegiwa front strut brace
Rear strut brace"

There is a Eurospec sticker on there so it may have had an aftermarket ECU from what i've been told at some point but I can't say for sure.

The car has an EML light which is caused by the car not having a cat and the previous owner mentioned that it will need a cat for the MOT as well

Could anyone advise me on what exactly I would need to buy for an MOT so the EML light goes away and it can pass? I wouldn't mind the idea of having a cat on either, and a bit of a smell from the car which i believe is from the decat although I can't smell it inside the car and the exhaust is a bit loud for the area that I live in. I want to take the car to a track next year so it could be too loud as it is.

Another thing mentioned in the advert is:

"Theres a knocking noise coming from the passenger side front which i beleive is the top strut mount but i have a spare on the other coilovers i just dont have time to fit this."

I've heard a slight knock when coming to a stop and edging forward a bit so would the explanation make sense, and would the mount from the spare set be able to be used on the car to fix this?

With the brake upgrade, would anyone be able to advise me what discs and pads would be required when they need replacing?

For lowering when the VTEC engages, is all that is required a remap? If so where would be a good place to take the car to? I live in the West Midlands, but im more than happy to travel to have it done properly.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If the Eml is on for the decat, I'd suggest it probably isn't remapped or there is another issue. I'd get a code reader on it ASAP

I was told by the previous owner that the car was not remapped.

Doesn't help but with those mods I wouldn't have touched it without a map.

You'll need friendly MOT Tester or a Standard mani & cat.

I'd then get a K100 or KPro and get it mapped ASAP.

Doesn't help but with those mods I wouldn't have touched it without a map.

You'll need friendly MOT Tester or a Standard mani & cat.

I'd then get a K100 or KPro and get it mapped ASAP.

Where would be the best place to have a Kpro or K100 fitted and mapped? From what I have read, it seems like the k100 would be suitable as I will just look to have one map applied.

Is it not possible just to put a CAT on and mapping the car without putting a standard manifold on to pass an mot?

Where would be a good place to have it supplied mapped and fitted? I live in the West Midlands so it usually means that im in the middle of everything but close to nothing

Where would be a good place to have it supplied mapped and fitted? I live in the West Midlands so it usually means that im in the middle of everything but close to nothing

There's Area Motorsport near Uttoxeter, probably not that far from you.

Or TDi North

I would say either TDi north or eurospec (north and south respectively). In the Midlands I'm not sure.

Also I'm sure someone on MLR said eurospec weren't trading anymore. I've not looked into it. I booked my old EP3 through TGM who booked Romain and Dyno space for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Just did a code read with an old OBD reader that I had forgotten about and here is what came up

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0219 Engine Overspeed Condition
P0420 PENDING Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I wiped the codes and they havent come back after leaving the car running for a bit, although i'm not sure what to make of them

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember rightly the DC 4-2-1 is a solid piece which means you'd need to swap the whole thing for a standard one for the MOT. Massive pain in the arse as it'd be expensive labour wise.

Best bet is a MOT friendly tester, TGM in Fleet may know of one.

Best bet is to call area, TGM & TDI and just ask them.

Back