• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Bike racks

fmp

Hey guys,

I have recently taken delivery of a JDM ep3 (2002). I love the thing!

My other passion is mountain biking. I used to have a car with a tow bar so just used a Thule rack.

That's not an option on the ep3 as far as I can tell.

I have purchased a used Thule roof rack, but would prefer something behind the car.

So has anyone had any success using a regular boot mounted bike rack? Do they fit ok? Does the spoiler take a beating from the straps? Which model rack do you use? Any pics?

If anyone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.

Worst case, I can just use the roof rack.

Thanks!

Those boot ones make a right mess of the car in my experience. The back of my DERV audi is covered in scrapes and cracked paint as a result of boot/spoiler mounted bike racks.

Stick with the roof rack IMO.

That said... even though the EP3 has a 0 tow limit, I can't imagine pulling a lightweight bike rack really being a problem.

I was advised that a boot mounted option isn’t an option on the EP3, as it can pull the spoiler off.

I got a Saris Bones for my Fiesta ST. It’s designed for cars with a larger than normal spoiler. You can adjust the height of the actual rack up quite high so as to lower any pressure on the spoiler. Just be careful if you go under any low arches as the bike does sit quite high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I will use the roof bars for now and maybe look at other options in the near future.

Back