• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Will it fit in the garage?

Hello everyone, long time no post! I am thinking of replacing my Golf R with a new Type R FK8 but was wondering if any of you out there are running one and are lucky enough to be able to put it their garage overnight, mine is a pretty standard size of garage you get with a 1970’s house, any feedback will be much appreciated, thanks.

74 inches mate, get the old tape measure out! It's 4 inches wider than the golf. Unfortunately no sunroof you can get out of....

Dotty used to put his in the garage but I think it’s larger than what you may have? As above get the tape measure out. :)

I have a typical sized council garage and according to the tape measure I have around 4 inches either side and so many mm on the length, in the 3 years I've been renting it I've yet to attempt it.
I'm in an fk2 though, on paper there's not much between them but the fk8 does look a lot bigger.

Yep laid empty for a year and half then had the back garden landscaped, they brought the date forward by several months due to a decent spring so all contents of the shed, car parts etc had to go in there, out of sight and all that, I ended up leaving it all in there.

Garages our way are like unicorn ***** so if you bag one keep hold of it,
I was lucky 2 popped up, the first one I signed for was perfect in size but had such an incline the FK2 wouldn't have made it up without splitter damage so they offered me another directly opposite, perfect incline but lost the space the other had.
Over £40 a month they charge as well, but you can be on the waiting list for years

I used to have a Golk MK6, and that fitted into my single garage (new build home) with good space. The FK8 just about fits, just around wide enough to open the door to squeeze out, though i would pad up the walls to be safe!
Length wise just enough space to fit a packed up lawnmower with around 35cm of space at the back to open up the boot fully.

Or the bodies of his enemies in small pieces in various chest freezers...
I wish I hadn’t asked now ! Thanks for all the replies, I’m getting serious enough now to get the tape measure out and arrange a test drive if I can get them to let me out without holding my hand that is.....Hahs!

We checked last week and surprisingly the FK8 is the same width and only 45cm shorter than our Chrysler 300C

Certainly not a hot hatch any more but a very comfortable family saloon!

I wish I hadn’t asked now ��! Thanks for all the replies, I’m getting serious enough now to get the tape measure out and arrange a test drive if I can get them to let me out without holding my hand that is.....Hahs!

just tell them that as you're spending >30k on the car you feel quite within your rights to check it fits your garage. the salesman can always come along for the ride if they insist (likely they won't be bothered if they think it's 2-3 hours out of their day unless they are really bored or worried you'll feck off with it) :lol:

edit; mine only just fits but I have to fold the mirrors in, which then as you can't quite see down the sides made me decide this car is for sitting outside and the Lotus gets the warm bed for the night.

To summarise, it's a Honda Accord Type R in disguise with a hatch plus a bit more :)

No bad thing, but I personally I want something smaller. As previously discussed, my fault as I knew the dimensions when I bought it.

One thing that surprised me was that the FK8 is 2 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 2 inches less tall than a Mitsubishi Evo X which in my mind physically looks much smaller.

PS the above was due to my friend and I comparing our cars

To summarise, it's a Honda Accord Type R in disguise with a hatch plus a bit more :)

No bad thing, but I personally I want something smaller. As previously discussed, my fault as I knew the dimensions when I bought it.

I am sure that you know the Civic IX and X dimensions were increased over the previous generations to cover the void when the Accord was discontinued in the UK market.

I am sure that you know the Civic IX and X dimensions were increased over the previous generations to cover the void when the Accord was discontinued in the UK market.

Thanks - I do know that although didn't appreciate how bloated it had become. It would appear that most of the UK journalists don't when they compare it to what I consider to be traditional sized cars they compare it to.

seen the new BMW 1 series mark? Looks a bit jacked up, think your 118d m sport is the better model.... :lol:

Back