• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Brake Setups

Happy new year everyone!

I'm seeking a bit of advise from other CTR owners, My track wh**e seems to be going through discs and pads like a bad habit.

Now I know a good amount of that will be my driving style and that going in nards deep chasing something I should leave well alone whilst blasting ABBA is a bad habit but still.

Currently running RPD discs and PBS pads (sorry if i've mixed the two up) which are brilliant but after 1 day of oulton park they have warped and were over heating badly after just 6 laps of fairly gentle use. I run motul 600 fluid. The only reason I can think of these warping was I had a .. minor off and used ALL of the brakes to come to a stop about half an inch from the crash barrier but one heavy stop like that shouldn't kill the brakes?

The car its self is stock apart from a manifold, exhaust and intake and also braided lines (were on offer so thought sod it).

Do I need to go down the line of upgrading the front calipers to something more juicy or do any of you guys have a similar driving style and find a certain set up helps?

You won’t be warping the discs. It’ll be pad deposits sticking to the discs causing the vibration when braking. You get excessive pas deposits sticking to the discs when the pads overheat. Over time the pad deposits wear off with normal braking and the vibrations reduce.
You either need to buy pads that can cope with your driving style, improve brake cooling or change your style to fix the issue.

I noticed after the track day the brake dust stuck to the alloys was pretty excessive more so than the last set i used on the first day prior to swapping over to the PBS ones.

I was hoping to either have the discs skimmed or swap the pads over and try improve my driving this is my first track car and only my second outing in this one apart from race days so still learning my limits and the car v-tech virgin here.

So if you were in this situation would you be driving the car in normal use more? with going back to work i will be jumping back into my 330D and leaving the Honda in the garage.

I was toying with pulling the fogs out and running some ducting into the arches in an attempt to get more air to them or actually from the lower grill next to the fogs

If you're really into your track days then standard calipers are pretty useless. Get a BBK, it's the best mod money can buy for an EP3

Found a second hand set of BBK calipers on facebook for 650 but looked like they had seen much better days, Sat watching a few former track ones being broken for parts seem to range between 550-950

Scrap that sorry they were "D2" who ever they are :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t get D2!

Look for a Stoptech kit. They’re very good on an EP3.

D2 are made in China/Taiwan (same factory as Ksport iirc), I had them on my M3 and currently have them on my Golf 4motion too, whilst they aren't as good as Stoptech / Alcon etc they are miles better than OEM. I've never had any issues personally. If anything they are better made than Tarox and some other BBK suppliers IMHO.

Get yourself some DS2500's on them and you'll be fine.

D2 are made in China/Taiwan (same factory as Ksport iirc), I had them on my M3 and currently have them on my Golf 4motion too, whilst they aren't as good as Stoptech / Alcon etc they are miles better than OEM. I've never had any issues personally. If anything they are better made than Tarox and some other BBK suppliers IMHO.

Get yourself some DS2500's on them and you'll be fine.
As long as there genuine, I think they are the most faked company.

I had the stoptech 330 bbk on my EP3. Best thing I ever spent money on. But I would try some different pads first. I had good experiences with projectmu on track before going bbk.

I would personally avoid DS2500's (here we go again).

They will leave deposits on the discs and you'll end up with the same issue you have now. There are MUCH better pads for track use around.

A cheaper option to the Stoptech BBK could be the Megane RS 4 pots. Think you can buy a full kit for less than £800 brand new. Not sure on how they compare with the Stoptech kit ***.

I've clocked a few Renault brembo's around and budget wise they are the best but unsure of the quality on a civic and i've never known anyone fit them.

Either way i'm now saving for new calipers just running it as is for now they work on the road .. just

I've clocked a few Renault brembo's around and budget wise they are the best but unsure of the quality on a civic and i've never known anyone fit them.

Either way i'm now saving for new calipers just running it as is for now they work on the road .. just
Freaky parts to a brake kit for the ep3/fn2/dc5 utilising the Renault brembo.

I've got the project k Renault brembo kit on mine with the Carbotech pads. Night and day difference to standard calipers.

Ds2500 were okay, mad vibrations every time after a track day for a few days. Pbs much better than that, only had vibrations after I overcooked them and got red flagged before I could cool down enough on the last session.

Brembos and Carbotech not had a single issue. For the money you can't go wrong.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Found the kit on freaky parts thanks Mebz, those look like the ones to go for money and use wise but there are a set of "racing honda" ones and the renault ones but they both look the same.

Also says i'd need spacers to go over the standard alloys Norv did you have to put those on when you converted yours over?

Found the kit on freaky parts thanks Mebz, those look like the ones to go for money and use wise but there are a set of "racing honda" ones and the renault ones but they both look the same.

Also says i'd need spacers to go over the standard alloys Norv did you have to put those on when you converted yours over?
Yeah you'll need spacers, 10 or 15mm I think, to clear the calipers.

I think they now use the latest megane rs calipers which take a slightly bigger pad. At least with those kits discs are cheap because they're either 350z discs or slightly smaller are nivaro discs from memory which are a lot cheaper. I was meaning to get the cheaper discs and road pads and then swap back over for track days, but I do so few miles now that it's not worth it any more.

Yeah you'll need spacers, 10 or 15mm I think, to clear the calipers.

I think they now use the latest megane rs calipers which take a slightly bigger pad. At least with those kits discs are cheap because they're either 350z discs or slightly smaller are nivaro discs from memory which are a lot cheaper. I was meaning to get the cheaper discs and road pads and then swap back over for track days, but I do so few miles now that it's not worth it any more.

Are the Carbotech pads not good for the road?

Are the Carbotech pads not good for the road?
They are fine, but a bit aggressive really and bite from stone cold isn't amazing. Also very dusty.

They're expensive so it was more of a cost saving exercise running cheaper pads for 90% of the time. But then I did about 5k a year, now it will be 2k tops I think so can't be bothered to swap them around!

They are fine, but a bit aggressive really and bite from stone cold isn't amazing. Also very dusty.

They're expensive so it was more of a cost saving exercise running cheaper pads for 90% of the time. But then I did about 5k a year, now it will be 2k tops I think so can't be bothered to swap them around!

Ah okay, makes sense. So what pads would you get for the megane RS calipers that would do well for fast road driving while not being extremely dusty?

Back