• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 VTC gear renewal?

Ok so I've bought the chain, guides and tensioner (genuine obvs) to have my ep3 k20a engine kept in good health, as it's 90% track car now and is a 2003 on original chain with 108k on it.

I thought i was covered until I read a few posts about a noisy vtc gear and that they're prone to going at around 100k?

Sounds very much like the issues with dephaser pulleys on the clio rs.

So my question is, should I change this vtc gear pulley too When doing the chain?

I don't have start up rattle, but I don't want to regret not doing it after having the chain done and if there's the likelihood it'll need doing later on!?
Ta

I'm doing mine at 100k along with the chain. One of those things, you're either into preventative maintenance or you wait until it starts rattling.

I'm doing mine at 100k along with the chain. One of those things, you're either into preventative maintenance or you wait until it starts rattling.
Yeah that's the thing. Just wondering if they tend to go at a certain mileage or if it's purely on how well you service the car? Even the Renault ones can go on forever if decent oil is used and changed frequently.

I've done regular oil changes every 3k or so and only changing the chain as Stevie said it was stretched a couple of years ago but said wasn't bad enough to change at the time. Since then it's been hammered a lot more on track.

Back