• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My FN2 (first ever Honda)

Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join the forum! I've already picked up some inspiration for members builds etc.

Just managed to upload some pics so thought I would share although I haven't managed to get any full car shots yet.
First thing i like to do on any new car is too change as much of the lighting (especially interior) to LED as possible. New 501 side light bulbs fitted - didn't manage to get any pics of the interior.
X8DA6u7l.jpg

Noticed that the headlights could do with a little tlc too:/
3wDD5JAl.jpg

I didn't get a 'before' picture but the engine bay was absolutely horrid (probably the worst I've seen on any car I've bought second hand) so I had a go at cleaning and treating the black plastics for now. Will need some more time to do more but I have plans :)
bW9hXILl.jpg

I had limited time so detailed the tailgate. Clay bar, DA cut, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Wax & paint protect bought it quite nicely.
XiIKQnUl.jpg

The car came with aftermarket wide alloys with stretched tyres which aren't really my style. Not sure what to do with them yet...
L6Domk8l.jpg

They do actually sit quite nicely
GSNBYPDl.jpg

c5yDSmhl.jpg

Thats all the photos i have for now but I'll try and get some more tomorrow.

Plans for the future are;
  • Full car detail
  • new discs and pads all round
  • wing mirror covers need paint as they've been scuffed quite a bit
  • skunk2 gear knob (ordered)
  • would like a short shifter possibly - any suggestions?
That'll do for now :D

would like a short shifter possibly - any suggestions?

Hi!

Don't buy those little bolt on jobbies you see on ebay for £15-£20. They've been known to snap the arm on the OEM shifter and the one I had on made the shifting feel horrible into third and fifth. Just can't recommend them.

Go for the full shifter replacement as made by Mugen which will set you back around £180 if you buy from the right place, TDi-North quickshifter at £175 or the Tegiwa one at £176.

I have one in mine, and I've had all three now on the three FN2s I've had. Mugen is the best as the shifter is more stiffly sprung and just feels more positive as a result. It is nice and short too. I got a billy bargain on the Tegiwa one and it is a close second as the throw is shorter than the Mugen IMHO but just not quite as stiff. :|

Post details on your wheels, interested to see what they are given the stretch and poke! :lol:

Thanks for the info Loxy! I've had eBay solutions on virtually all of my old vehicles so interesting to hear that their no good for the FN2 - I'll steer clear :) Although, it'll be a while until I can afford any of the replacements you've mentioned due to limited funds atm.

I have no idea what wheels they are at the minute, haven't had chance to properly inspect them but they are running 225/40 tyres stretched so guessing they are 9j. I think they have quite an offset too but I'll post more info once I've done some google research :)

I am absolutely loving driving this car though! Plus - I'm currently getting around 28mpg from solely town driving which is better than my old 1.6 petrol Mazda 3.

Couple of more photos - i have absolutely no idea what wheels they are - need to find out though
y7GpPtk.jpg

3U6Useh.jpg

g1SdOtO.jpg

Sprayed this cover up last night too. Prefer the black to the silver and managed to spruce the vtec badge up with a nail buffer.
NOKCwmY.jpg

They look like JR10s for sure, that said there are a few reps of that wheel style about.

If the car was lowered it would suit the stretched look, but personally i prefer performance over looks and stretch in my eyes is pretty unsafe (although I've had some bad experiences with it hence the outlook).

The car looks great though mate, the black cover will suit the bay better. As Loxy said stay away from the cheapo short shifters, might seem like a reasonable decision in the beginning but the Mugen/Tegiwa kits pay off in the long run and would feel miles better.

What are your plans for the car going forward?

thanks for the info on the wheels guys!!

Hoping to get it lacquered and back on the car tonight along with few other goodies if they turn up.

I don't have many plans for the immediate future due to monies - need to pay some stuff off first before I do anything major - the mrs would kill me otherwise XD

nice job on engine cover!!! also i have the Skunk 2 short shifter / Skunk 2 weighted gear knob / gear selector uprated bushes / gear linkage cable uprated bushes.. i have spent alot but it feels amazing lol

Managed to get the cover lacquered and back on the car tonight. It's not perfect but it's much better than it was.
H6Zdpezl.jpg

While i was waiting for it to cure, I started cleaning up the intake manifold and gave it a lick of paint. Would of preferred to take it off really and do a proper job but haven't got the time at the moment but it's on my to do list :)
F3iVP9Ol.jpg

The rusty hose clips are horrible to look at! They were always the same on my Mazda's :(

Last edited by a moderator:
how strange all my clips are fine lol when that rockver cover is a bright red it will look tons better man

I'd love to get the cam cover off, shot blasted, powder coated and back on but as I need to use the car daily I need another cover to substitute for a short period. Anybody know where I could get one either on the cheap or does anybody have a spare they will be willing to lend me for a few weeks in return for some beers?

Ive had a look on eBay and I can't justify spending £60-£70 on a part that I need for a few weeks max to maybe not make my money back on :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'd love to get the cam cover off, shot blasted, powder coated and back on but as I need to use the car daily I need another cover to substitute for a short period. Anybody know where I could get one either on the cheap or does anybody have a spare they will be willing to lend me for a few weeks in return for some beers?

Ive had a look on eBay and I can't justify spending £60-£70 on a part that I need for a few weeks max to maybe not make my money back on :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Spooner restorations do a deposit scheme. You pay extra they send it to you. When you return your one you get the deposit back. Really top quality work as well.

Spooner restorations do a deposit scheme. You pay extra they send it to you. When you return your one you get the deposit back. Really top quality work as well.

Thanks for the info dude! Is there a website or something please?

EDIT - ignore the above I've found the website and messaged Paul to see if he can help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It had rained a little this morning so got a couple of nice beading shots on the spoiler
O3ux7GOm.jpg

oevjUAPm.jpg

Got to the inlaws and waiting for me was my skunk2 gearknob - WOOP! Not sure if the sticker will stay...
h86ect0m.jpg

I'm after a little help guys - the small panel on the drivers door where the switches are has been damaged/worn over the years so I want to get them out and tidy them up. Is there a guide anywhere on how to remove the panel or whole door card if needed? I did a quick search but couldn't see anything...
J4xf4mVm.jpg

The whole card needs to come off then you can unscrew it from the back.

There is a screw under the little rubber mat on the grab recess and a screw under the cover where the door release lever is. Once you've got these two off, you then start at one corner and start popping the card from its poppers, it should eventually come away with only the cables to the door release lever still attached.

Back