• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fk2 checking Coolant

Has any other fk2 owner found it extremely difficult to check the coolant level in the expansion tank. I bought my fk2 last October and it had just been serviced so no worries about levels etc. The oil gets checked quite often so last week I thought I'd check the coolant.so I looked at the expansion tank and couldn't see a level I could see the min level mark but not the max mark I shone my led torch through but still I was no wiser. So I went to my local Honda dealer who said to bring my car down and they would check it for me. So the mechanic did say it was a but of a nightmare, however he took the cap of the expansion tank and got a really bright led torch and shone the light into the tank from the driver side front wing, you have to crouch down a bit and the level he said was just below the max line. The max and min marks are quite low down and I could just see the level almost on max. The thing is if you are looking for a fluid line quite far down in the tank you won't see it as it's high up just under the max mark. I hope you got all that not trying to confuse anyone.
I'm a Honda person through and through and this would be the only criticism I have with Honda regarding designing this part and its location under the bonnet but to be fair it's mega full anyway.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to say, the mechanic said there's a sensor on the
System, he didn't say specifically if was on the expansion tank or elsewhere in the coolant system but he did say youll get a light on in the dash if your coolant gets low
Now I looked in the cars handbook and I couldn't find anything regarding a sensor for the coolant
If anyone does read anything to say there is please let me know. Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried once and not bothered since, I just keep an eye on my temps on the display.
I don't get why they have to make it so difficult, the Fn2 was a clear bottle but way down in the engine bay,
The easiest way to check the Fn2 was to look at the rad level

yes bright led light at night is the best way, learnt this when I had a coolant leak so was watching it like a hawk

Nice to read through this thread as I was having difficulties reading the level of coolant in the expansion tank. I even shone a LED torch at the expansion tank and still couldn't see the coolant level.

So went to Honda and the technician goes, you have to undo the cap on the expansion tank, shine a torch into it and then angle your vision to see where the coolant level is.

Also my coolant is transparent which I found rather peculiar.

Its beyond me why Honda drivers have to go to that extent just to see how much coolant is in the expansion tank!

Back