• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fk2 Winter set help?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here (well posting that is) - I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice or point me in the right direction for alloys / tyres??
Previously i have always bought tyres and wheel packages which come with fitting packs... However they didn't have the alloys i wanted in stock this time so i went ahead and bought some separately.

I bought these alloys: TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.3 ALLOY WHEEL 18"

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/team-dynamics-pro-race-1-3-alloy-wheel-18-civic-type-r-fk2-15.html

Size: 18"
Width: 8.5"
Offset: ET45
PCD: 5x120
CB: 64.1mm
Weight: 10.5kg
Colour: Gloss Black

From what i understand is spigot rings / valves / bolts are needed if you're going to buy the tyre & alloys separately.

The Center Bore for the fk2 is : 64.1 mm which matches the alloy so i assume no spigot rings are needed?
And i could use the same OEM bolts with the new alloys too?

I'm also looking to place these tyres (Dunlop SP Winter Sport 5 225/40 R18 ) on the alloys...
I think Loxy had this size on for his Pro Dynamics 1.2 for the same alloy size which i read a while back.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Loxy is your man to ask on here as i think he had the same alloys for a winter set on his FK2.

I had the Pro Race 1.2, but the same will apply as they are the same spec/offset etc.

If the Centre Bore truely is 64.1, you won't need Spigots. Tyre place fitting the alloys will supply valves, don't worry yourself about them.

You will need new nuts and lockers. The OEM wheels use a ball nut, and these Team Dynamics and nearly every other aftermarket wheel will take a tapered nut. If you use the OEM nuts they will work loose and likely damage the alloys as you try to torque them up.

Those tyres will be OK, much better than summers for sure. Those are the same size tyres I had and had no issues on that size of wheel what so ever.

225's on 8.5 seem a bit stretched - 8.5's is the width on the 19's and look bad enough on the factory 235.

i use 8x18 with 255's on my winter setup. 64.1 sounds right for the center bore (not 100% sure) but wont need the spigot rings if it's indeed right. as Loxy says with wheelnuts - get tapered. not compatible with the OEM nuts.
I'm currently using the GT50 steel nuts from driftworks (GT50 14x1.5) - holding up better than the free ones the wheels were supplied with but only been on these nuts this winter.

Stretched? 255 is the suggested max width tyre on an 8.5. Optimium is 235 or 245 from what I've read online.

Wow thank you for all of your inputs !
That's helped me so much.

I've have been looking at the Tegiwa site and I've come across a set of nuts and lockers:
(I think these should be okay to fit with the TD 1.3?)

MUGEN WHEEL NUTS AND LOCKING SET M14X1.5 HONDA CIVIC TYPE R FK2 / FK8 17+ BLACK
(Designed for aftermarket wheels with 60 degree taper. A set of 16 (M14) wheel nuts (taper type) and 4 lock nuts)

But Tegiwa also have conversion washers too which should allow me to use the OEM nuts - I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with conversion washers?

The description reads as:

TEGIWA 14MM WHEEL NUT CONVERSION WASHER PACK HONDA CIVIC FK2 FK8 TYPE R 15+

TEGIWA 14mm Wheel Nut Adaptors. used for converting from 'ball' nut seat to 'taper' nut seat. These are a really cool product allowing people with Honda OEM wheels to fit aftermarket coloured nuts. Manufactured from from the exact same material your nut seats are made from and treated for corrosion resistance. These will fit all OEM Honda wheels. Please note these should not be used on OEM Honda studs if you are already running wheel spacers. If you are running spacers please purchase longer studs.

I'm not sure which to go for - if you were to go for one which would you go for?

Stretched? 255 is the suggested max width tyre on an 8.5. Optimium is 235 or 245 from what I've read online.

but he's fitting 225's, not 255s :D
fwiw i run 255's on my 8.5" summer setup.

i use 2 sets of nuts & lockers - ball set for summer, taper set for winter.
mugen + conversion washers would work to fit with your summer set. only issue i'd have with them is loosing a washer.

:rolleyes:
yep, i *** goofed. i even went back to re-read OP's size i thought i mis-read.
edited my original post!

Haha, so did I to be sure. Yep 225 would be very stretched. I had 215 on my 8j Pro race and didn't like that set up. :)

I still have the factory standard contact sport fitted for winter. I didn't even consider buying winter tyres! Should I be buying a set of winter tyres? I thought winter tyres were for cars in countries where it shows constantly or heavily...

plenty of youtube vids about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g
or wait for the snow, drive on your summer and react like someone pulled out in front of you 10m ahead.

tldr, get winter. summer biased winters are probably the best bet, although i am tempted to try all seasons once my winters need replacing

Back