• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Oil

Hi Everyone, previous to owning an fk2 gt I ran a Honda Civic type s 1.8ivtec and covered 1400 miles per year.Yes that's correct .I'm retired so only ran the car at weekends.It used to be serviced once a year and the oil put in was mobil 1 0w40. When I used to take the car in the oil was as clear as it went in the prev year.
Last October I became the proud owner of a 2015 fk2 with 17500 miles on the clock. So since then I've covered approx 850 miles in almost 3 months (yes I love driving the Type-R hence the miles) Because I've not owned a Type-R that's got a turbo before I find myself a bit paranoid and am checking the oil often, as I had no idea if the fk2 uses a lot of oil. It has been quite clear and initially found it hard to see the level until the honda technician showed me how.The level has always been spot on just on the max marker.As I've got used to driving the fk2 (seat position now spot on ) I can really drive the car as though we are one, if you get what I mean.It just sort of clicked one day! So I am driving the car shall we say more sporty and now and again take the engine up the rev range , through the gears although I haven't got it up to 7000rpm yet ! So i checked the oil the other day after moving the car down the drive to get it on level ground and then checked it about 20 minutes later.The level had come down slightly at just a bit below max.Did I give it enough time to come through the engine and find its level ?
Also the oil has gone darker is this normal? and the oil has a strong smell is this because this is a turbo engine? When I was working and covered approx 22000 miles per year in my type s the oil did go dark and had the same smell. My fk2 is on the fixed service plan (12500miles or 1yr whichever comes first) also have the Honda service plan,so my next service will be due in October with around 2500-3000 miles covered since last service.
In theory will I be ok to leave the oil until the service is due
or should I get it changed before then? assuming it going dark and the strong smell doesn't effect its operation.
It was serviced prev by Honda and Honda oil 0w -20 was used
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing short journeys will do the oil no good.
Even after 20 minutes a lot of oil would still be at the top of the engine so it will probably read a bit under when you check it.
I would change oil every 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, when I do take the car on a run I usually do about 40- 60 miles and always ensure the engine is warm, by that I mean not just going by the coolant temperature but wait a while before opening it up.
Thanks once again. Regards Fred.

What sort of oil temperature are you seeing on the digital gauge when you are out giving it a thrash mate ?

That's a good question, to be honest I don't know? I'll have to set the dash up so I can see the temp. But what I would
Say I definitely don't thrash the engine as I said prev I don't think I've hit 7000rpm since I've had the car. But I will take your advice. The infotainment system isn't straight forward though.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowt to do with infotainment system Fred. You have a range of gauges like boost pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature and even a G meter.
Have a good read of your handbook mate. Hold the I button down on steering wheel.

i run around 80c winter, 90c summer. 125-130c should be your top limit on oil temp - from what i've read into, synthetics can't handle more than this.

worth noting is the cars oil pressure gauge has about 3secs of smoothing applied to it - it's not instant.

I see 78-80 all year round :lol:

Oil can be a pain to read but oil drinkers are quite rare on the FK2 so you might find yourself going from weekly to fortnightly to monthly (ideally after each top up), smell I've too noticed that but put it down to being turbo.

If it helps you can purchase a 2nd dipstick for around 12-£15, carefully remove the awful orange plastic and this leaves you with an easy to read dipstick which actually has the min and max holes punched into it, I've done this and I keep it in the lower boot inside a cardboard poster tube, also stone cold checks really help as well

I see 78-80 all year round :lol:

Oil can be a pain to read but oil drinkers are quite rare on the FK2 so you might find yourself going from weekly to fortnightly to monthly (ideally after each top up), smell I've too noticed that but put it down to being turbo.

If it helps you can purchase a 2nd dipstick for around 12-£15, carefully remove the awful orange plastic and this leaves you with an easy to read dipstick which actually has the min and max holes punched into it, I've done this and I keep it in the lower boot inside a cardboard poster tube, also stone cold checks really help as well

I find reading the oil level with the factory dipstick difficult to read also! Silly orange coloured thing. Where did you purchase the aftermarket dipstick? Cheers!

I purchased the normal Honda orange one from hendy performance on here, or message Cox Honda on here,

All I did was carefully cut away the orange plastic, but before I did that I made a decent mark in the max hole and when the plastic was removed I carefully scored a line where my mark was

I purchased the normal Honda orange one from hendy performance on here, or message Cox Honda on here,

All I did was carefully cut away the orange plastic, but before I did that I made a decent mark in the max hole and when the plastic was removed I carefully scored a line where my mark was

Thanks for that. Sounds a bit fiddly and knowing me I'll break something haha. I'll just put up with the standard one, it's not like I'm losing hours reading the thing

Why on earth did Honda get rid of this useful information on the FK8. Missing my M3 oil temp gauge :(
I'm sure most manufacturers actually estimate the oil temp by usuaing coolant temp readings. So most aren't much use when you'd want them anyway, just a rough idea about what it most likely is.

I'm not sure if honda do this or not though, my skoda diesel does though.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Back