• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Knocking steering - Loose shock!

Hi
I have noticed a knocking noise coming from the steering on my EP3 but yesterday it seemed to get worse
I jacked the car up and put the front end of it on axle stands
I noticed that the top of the shock on the D/S seems really slack within the tower, you can move it around freely! Other side has some play although not as bad
It looks to have fresh shocks and lowering springs fitted on both sides
Has anybody came across this before - I'm guessing its top mounts maybe?

So the top part of the strut (under the bonnet) with the nut on it is moving freely? Are the 3 nuts on the strut tower and the single nut on the strut tight?

If they are then the top mounts must have some serious ware on them to allow the strut to move as the mounts are the only thing that should keep the shock centred in the strut tower.

Check the 3 nuts on the tower and the nut on the shock first.

Cheers for the replies!
Sorry I should have said within the inner arch instead of the strut tower. I checked the 3 nuts on the strut top under the engine bay and the centre bolt and they are done up tight! This noise only appeared after its MOT which it passed with no advisories...

Back