• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Honda Civic type r fk2 in Polished Metal Metallic

Hi I just wanted to ask fellow fk2 members who have the same colour as mine, Polished Metal Metallic if this is a trait of the paint. When driving i try not to get too close to cars in front and and when overtaking give the vehicle a wide birth to avoid stonechips.Yes inevitably I do get a few
and when I do they are always very tiny.I am wondering if it's because the paint is made up of very tiny metallic specs of paint? The annoying part is that the primer underneath is always lighter than the topcoat which makes it stand out. I've been told by people in the trade that this is the worst colour to get stonechips.
What's your thoughts please?
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just Honda paint in general, it's so thin. I have a championship white car and you should see the state of my rear arches

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think it's just Honda paint in general, it's so thin. I have a championship white car and you should see the state of my rear arches

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes my front ones are good to my surprise, however my back ones are full of minute chips.On some cars these days there is a cover made of some material sprayed the same colour as the car that doesn't chip it must absorb the energy the chip has and it simply doesn't chip. If you get it sprayed up I should imagine it wouldn't be for long before it was is in the same condition.There is a cosmetic solution. If your chips are the same as mine only down to the primer then you can cover them with a white chipstick
Which as I say isn't permanent but will make it look better.
Well mine is and is coloured polished metal metallic and mine doesn't look perfect but better, then go over with turtle wax colour magic in white.your not trying to cover the clearcoat as where you are polishing over all there is are chips which have been filled with white chipstick.
Finally it's not a permanent fix as you will have to go over it every so often.Regards Fred.

Mine is still low miles so it doesn't realy have any chips yet. If I did lots of motorway miles though like in my old EP3 then I'm sure it would have loads eventually. The Honda paint is soft and thin so it's difficult to avoid really.

I suppose the main thing is to enjoy the car and not worry about stone chips.I too only use the motorway when I have to. But I still don't like stone chips especially on the bonnet as it stands out. When the chips are minute even a touch up will show larger. Maybe I should wait till I have quite a few and get the front end sprayed up. Ive just reached 18000 miles on the clock with the car being just over 3 years old so av 6000 miles per year isn't too bad and mines immaculate. Used to be a car valeter, called a detailer these days. Am also keeping an eye on my seat bolster stitching as there's signs of wear. Regards Fred.

My rears were chip free then like magic appeared during one week, bonnet has a few, heard a stone get flicked up on to the roof Wednesday so need to investigate that one.
The rear arches are quite reasonably cheap to purchase and come ready painted if you wish to swap them,
Riche on here has a polished metal and he had his partially wrapped in a clear self healing film, you would need to look hard to tell it's on there

as me - did rear arches first as a test to see how good the clear stuff actually is, then got the entire front end done. went with the 3m venturesheild done by a local company. Still looks as good as the day i fitted. I'm about at the 3yr mark now.

as me - did rear arches first as a test to see how good the clear stuff actually is, then got the entire front end done. went with the 3m venturesheild done by a local company. Still looks as good as the day i fitted. I'm about at the 3yr mark now.

Does it really stop stonechips? or are you driving mega carefull. and is it expensive? just wanted to ask as I might consider it myself. finally what colour is your fk2?
Regards Fred.

I'm BSB coloured. I was first on the fitters system (both 3M and another major fitted i cant remember who - i think who did Riche's material) so mine was the pattern and thus took far longer (3days). standard civic is 4peice front end, typeR is 9 so far more complex.
all in, £650 i think. £550 for the front, £100 for rear arches. the guy did put prices up to reflect fitting time.
i dont drive carefully (in terms of road rash) yeah, i keep my distance, dont tailgate the gritters and don't go hunting for stone chips but even when brand new and being super careful, still gained front end damage.
only the front half of the rear arches were done, and the front was bumper, bonnet and wings upto the A-pillar gap, excluding front honda badge and wingmirrors (got PMC carbon caps on mine anyway).

I've not found a single bit of damage on the protected panels. would i do it again? yes definitely and it'd be from new rather than 3-5 months later when i already picked up a few very small chips. doing it now? would be worth looking at a chipsaway guy to sort any problems out and then protect. rear arches could be worth looking at replacements - i'm on the impression they're cheaper than you expect.

3m say not to jetwash it as the pressure can get under it and start to take it off. Much like tyre valves i guess; reality is not a problem unless your point-blank up next to it.
i've a small Nilfisk C110 3-5 washer and while i don't stand right up close to the film, i am cautious around it. It's never caused issues with snowfoam or a water rinse over the top.
other than that, i care for it the same - snow foam, handwash, claybar, sealants etc. doesn't seem to be any different than bare paintwork with dirt collection/retaining/cleaning. if it wont come off the paint with methodA, it wont come off the film either.

Back