• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

P0341 + Idle probs

Hi all bit of a noob so please bear with me
I have an 05 type r, last year the engine management light came on so I got the codes read.. It came up with one fault code but two problems relating... P0341... Cam shaft position sensor a and crank shaft position sensor.. Have been told by a couple of mechanics it could be down to the timing chain being slack but is there any way of actually diagnosing these two sensors? Rather than guess work ... I've been driving the car with the light on for a bit as I still need it to get to work, would this do it any harm?.. There no nocks or clunk's etc just thing I've lost a bit of the v tec... Also now got another problem lol... Went to start the car a few days ago and just wouldnt start... Got someone to jump it off another car, got it going, but now I've got a rev hunting problem ... Could this all be linked to the original fault code and sensors?... I've done a bit of googleing and have a guy today about to take of the IACV and clean it inside... Should this cure the mad revving when up to temp or have I got more deeper issues... Any help much muchly appreciated Daz

Hunting is usually IACV related.

Checking the chain isn't a huge job, maybe an hours work or less. The sensors I'm less familiar with. There's probably some sort of voltage or current check you can do but I've no idea. Check the chain first, replace the sensors if it's all good.

If your mileage is in the 100k area you should consider getting the chain and tensioner replaced anyway.

Hi mate thanks for your reply... Mechanic let me down today so going to try at work tomorrow with the iacv and give it a clean fingers crossed lol.. Mines just done 110000 so guess in a couple of weeks get someone to check the chain and replace tensioner ... Think the sensor is a nightmare to get to so hope it's just the above haha cheers again mate

I have seen P0341 be an issue with the connection, try unplugging and checking it's all clean and dry, maybe use some NF spray/contact-cleaner and replug. Granted, it may be something more significant, but it can't hurt.

I have seen P0341 be an issue with the connection, try unplugging and checking it's all clean and dry, maybe use some NF spray/contact-cleaner and replug. Granted, it may be something more significant, but it can't hurt.

Cheers Mike ill give that a go .. Was trying to avoid main dealer and get someone local to do it but knowone wants the job .. I'm guessing them sensors are a pain to get to lol...

It's at the right-hand-side of the block (when standing in front of the car), at the top of the head just beneath where the cam-cover meets the head. It should be pretty easy to reach.

Apologies if this image doesn't work long-term, but it's the simplest one I could find on short notice.

Absolute legend mate, I'll get that checked first .. Think the other sensor is a bit more tricky, the crankshaft one... But elimination I'll get that checked and cleaned first .. Appreciate ya help bud

Sounds just like the symptoms of a stretched timing chain. Is it not ticking over so good maybe cutting out if you stop at a junction or has a flat spot before vtec?
Ours was doing these things before we got the chain, guides and tensioner replaced.

Sounds just like the symptoms of a stretched timing chain. Is it not ticking over so good maybe cutting out if you stop at a junction or has a flat spot before vtec?
Ours was doing these things before we got the chain, guides and tensioner replaced.

Hi mate when the light first came on last year it was stalling every now and then at lights but think I've adapted me driving to it lol... It ticks over absolutely sweet now which is the funny thing, I've even completely got rid of the hunting idle.. It purrrs... But definitely has got a flat spot before the vtec kicks in... Getting the chain replaced and all the bits in a couple a weeks nearer payday lol thanks for the response

Honda purposefully mapped a dip in power just before changeover to mimic the old B-series vtec crossover to give the sensation of a more aggressive kick. Could it just be this you're noticing? We're only talking a split second here at full throttle though.

Honda purposefully mapped a dip in power just before changeover to mimic the old B-series vtec crossover to give the sensation of a more aggressive kick. Could it just be this you're noticing? We're only talking a split second here at full throttle though.

I know what you mean but this was an issues caused by the stretched chain, it was gone after replacing it and the car ran much better through the whole rev range as the timing gets knocked out when the chain stretches which is why it puts the code up for the cam/crank sensors. The car also ran quieter afterwards on tick over once it was timed back up and new chain ect on.

Ive got a dyno graph of my old teg which was pretty much stock and you can see the dip you mention before vtec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting issue

Hi all , sorry am a bit of a noob so please bear with me ... Been having a few issues with my 05 civic type R ...about 8 months ago I done a fairly long run in my car and parked up as normal ... following morning for work had my engine management light come on ..run sweet as a nut the day before .. called thee aa out and read the code which came up I think P0341 crank shaft position sensor and also cam shaft position sensor ... Now the car was running fine still although no VTEC so being honest short on funds I've been running it still gently just to get me from a to b ... Spoke to a couple of mechanics I know and they both frowned and said was a pig of a job and would cost a fortune hence why I've left it so long ... Cut a long story short just before Christmas I've been having starting issues when the weather turned a bit colder ... It would turn over ticking at 500revs lumpy ...as though any longer it will stall ...then suddenly kicks up to 1000 and sounds half sweet again and drives fine .... Until I broke down in Tesco car park where it spluttered at 500 then cut out ...every turn of the key after that it just won't fire ...it won't fire with jump leads either ... Will only start with a bump start ... Then it drives fine ...changed the plugs but made no difference whatso ever ...still splutters at 500 for a bit then kicks in ok ...or like tonight just won't start ... Now could all this be down to the fault code sensors ? Or could it point to some sort of timing chain issue being slack as a few people have told me ? I didn't really want to get the sensors done then find out it's me chain and I need to shell out more honestly it's just to get me to work and back car so didn't really want to throw loads of money at it ... Any ideas as to what's more likely or is there a cheap way of getting the timing chain checked to nullify one of the problems..any help much much much appreciated

Apologies I'd posted a while ago on this very subject but wouldn't let me find my original post when I tried searching for it hence the long winded above ... Now reading through all the helpful comments ,

Back