• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Dipstick

Just wanted to ask if any member knows how much quantity of oil is between the max and min marks for 0w-20 oil .
Many thanks Regards Fred.

I recently read another thread on here and wanted to know myself. Generally it's 1 litre from min limit to reach max limit on the dipstick.

Many thanks for the replies. was just asking re dipstick quantity for future reference. I've had the car now since last October and the oil level has only just come down below the max level. So not ready for a top up yet. What sort of oil level on the dipstick do you fellow members usually top up at? So when you do it must take some time as you must add small amounts and wait till the level has come up and settled before adding more,as you don't want to go above the max mark?
I really appreciate the help. I can't wait for warmer weather
As I've been caught out 3 times by the chuffing gritter. I know the roads need to be treated but should switch off momentarily when passing all fk2's Lol!

I know the roads need to be treated but should switch off momentarily when passing all fk2's Lol!

They only do that for the "Black Edition" :p

I bought a 1 Litre bottle of top-up oil in June 2017 & have never had to open it as yet :lol:

Regards,Mark.

I found another in the shed still in it's wrapper, I now have 4... 1 litre bottles :rolleyes: got half a bottle in the boot compartment for top ups.

RE topping up I read mine at work late afternoon and usually only top up if it's above half way, little at a time till it's on max or a smidge over pending on how heavy handed I am, I'd say in the 3 n so years of owning I've probably only topped up 3 times but even then it was only dribbles.

The manual states between min & max on a warm engine, but I've always gone by the old fashioned way of max on a stone cold engine, makes it a lot easier and more reassuring

Last edited by a moderator:
A 41 Litre bottle should get you to the moon & back...even that half full bottle with 20.5 Litres,you have in the boot,will be good for the road trip of a lifetime :lol:

I know what you meant ;)

Regards,P.I.Staker

I found another in the shed still in it's wrapper, I now have 4... 1 litre bottles :rolleyes: got half a bottle in the boot compartment for top ups.

RE topping up I read mine at work late afternoon and usually only top up if it's above half way, little at a time till it's on max or a smidge over pending on how heavy handed I am, I'd say in the 3 n so years of owning I've probably only topped up 3 times but even then it was only dribbles.

The manual states between min & max on a warm engine, but I've always gone by the old fashioned way of max on a stone cold engine, makes it a lot easier and more reassuring

Yes I agree with you. I've always checked my oil when its cold and on level ground. did you mean you top up when the oil gets to slightly above half on the dipstick?
having checked my oil a few times since I got the car last October I realise that the K20c engine fitted uses extremely small amounts of oil, even with it being a turbo engine.
To me this is the sign of a very well made engine, particularly when you read that some Audi 2.00 tfsi engines use loads.
Beginning to enjoy this forum and all the help we give each other!
Many thanks. On a final note I've just got rid of 5 litres(gave to a friend) of Mobil 1 0w-40 from my prev car a Honda Civic Type s 1.8ivtec as it took 4ltres of oil and used to buy in 5ltr containers
so always had a litre left over and the car never used any oil whatsoever, I think due to me annual mileage being only 1400 av I had to bin some more as it was past the 5 years shelf life!.
for my current fk2 I have a 1 ltr of Castrol edge professional h 0w-20 for top ups.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably exaggerated "above half" as I'd never let it get that low, a fair few mm under and I'll give it a glug.
The dealer sometimes gives me the half bottle, which they should considering I paid for it but sometimes they don't bother

Back