• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Idle issues

Hi everyone last question ... So had the idle hunting issue, when up to temperature it sits at 2000 minimum and hunts to 3000 constant up and down on idle.... Plan was to take it to work today and clean out the IACV... Hunted a little during the traffic lights etc but when I actually pulled up at work the revs settled back down to a thousand, and ticks over lovely... Fan kicks in and seems fine.... But.... Tried revving it a little and it won't go past 5000 rpm... Its like a limiter kicks in and it blew a load of black stuff out the exhaust ... Any help appreciated guys... Could this still be down to the IACV needing a clean or have I now got another issue? Just didn't want to take apart and clean if the idle has now settled and fine... Thanks all

The EP3 has a rev-limiter at somewhere just under VTEC engagement (maybe around 5500rpm?).

Sounds like an IACV issue though (maybe a little higher range than normal, but same symptoms), give it a clean. Worst case is it doesn't help, but at least you'll have eliminated a suspect.

The EP3 has a rev-limiter at somewhere just under VTEC engagement (maybe around 5500rpm?).

Sounds like an IACV issue though (maybe a little higher range than normal, but same symptoms), give it a clean. Worst case is it doesn't help, but at least you'll have eliminated a suspect.
Yeah in neutral or with the clutch in there is a limiter at around 5K. Believe you can bypass it by holding the clutch and brake down together.

Mike and Tomcat thanks guys .. I usually only do short journeys in the car too and from work etc.. After the idle settling this morning back to normal, I decided lunchtime to hit the A12 and it ran great lol... Obviously revved over the 5000 rpm and ran great haha wonder if I just needed to give it a blast... Obviously not perfect due to the P0341 fault codes to do with the sensors but definitely no idle hunting phew.... Definitely still going to clean the IACV the weekend just incase, then got someone to price me up a timing chain replacement and tensioners as definitely due to be done then I think he is going to price me up on the two sensors (camshaft and crankshaft) as he said probably best doing them aswell... At the same time... Does this sound right guys just don't want to shell out for both sensors if not really needed.. Presuming the sensors are going to add another £200 to me bill ... Keep you posted when I get all the work done... Appreciate your time, I had a M3 before so this is all new lol

Mike and Tomcat thanks guys .. I usually only do short journeys in the car too and from work etc.. After the idle settling this morning back to normal, I decided lunchtime to hit the A12 and it ran great lol... Obviously revved over the 5000 rpm and ran great haha wonder if I just needed to give it a blast... Obviously not perfect due to the P0341 fault codes to do with the sensors but definitely no idle hunting phew.... Definitely still going to clean the IACV the weekend just incase, then got someone to price me up a timing chain replacement and tensioners as definitely due to be done then I think he is going to price me up on the two sensors (camshaft and crankshaft) as he said probably best doing them aswell... At the same time... Does this sound right guys just don't want to shell out for both sensors if not really needed.. Presuming the sensors are going to add another £200 to me bill ... Keep you posted when I get all the work done... Appreciate your time, I had a M3 before so this is all new lol
In all my years owning my civic it hunted a couple of times (both times after being sat for 6 months whilst I was overseas). All I ever did was take it out blast it for 20mins or so down some a roads and it always sorted it out.

Probably a dodgy TPS, very common. Get a new good quality one and calibrate it but definitely worth diagnosing it probably as could be a few things and don’t want to start guess work... it will get expensive lol

Back