• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Looking for rim recommendations (Aftermarket vs. OEM)

Hi guys!

I am a big noobie when it comes to wheels, so I'd like to ask your help so I could choose the best fit for my car:

Currently my car is equipped with a set of very heavy aftermarkets for winter, but as spring is coming closer I'm in need of a new set of lighter (and better looking) rims.
I know a guy in my area selling a set of black OEMs, but I have no idea how good they perform, although I really like the look of them. Are they particularly heavy compared to affordable aftermarkets?

My ideal color would be black (my car is red with carbon hood+wing and tinted rear windows, so it would match nicely), and it doesn't have to be wider than OEM, my tyres are 215/45.

If you happen to rock a nice set of aftermarkets and could compare them against OEM, please tell me your opinion! Pictures are welcome as well :)

Thanks!

In the Honda scene there are a lot of overpriced wheels like Rays, Advan, Work etc... that are basically 3 times the price they should be because people want their car to "fit in" with the scene. They don't even look particularly good. Something like Team Dynamics Pro Race are similar weight, a functional design but a normal price. That's where my money goes!

+1 for team dynamics pro race 1.2, had them on my Fn2.
I've got Rota boost on my Ep3, in gunmetal.

Attachments

• DSC_0005-2992x1688.JPG
    DSC_0005-2992x1688.JPG
    523.8 KB · Views: 40
In the Honda scene there are a lot of overpriced wheels like Rays, Advan, Work etc... that are basically 3 times the price they should be because people want their car to "fit in" with the scene. They don't even look particularly good. Something like Team Dynamics Pro Race are similar weight, a functional design but a normal price. That's where my money goes!

Once you see what goes into manufacturing a Volk/Rays alloy, you will understand why a set of alloys costs as much as it does. Also you can blame currency conversion and import tax too. In Japan they are actually not badly priced at all, especially when you consider their iconic set of wheels and the R&D behind them.

You can always buy Rotas if you don't have the cash for the real one, but I wouldn't say any of the brands you mentioned are 3 times the price just because of "scene points".

[video=youtube;a5u6-8WzpLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5u6-8WzpLs[/video]

It's all preference and what you are willing to pay for. Black, white and bronze would look good with red I reckon. RPF1s, Grids/TE37, Fighters/CE28, BBS style rims like Avid1AV12...any reputable brands. Doesn't matter if they're "rep" or "genuine" wheels.

After long consideration I have decided to go with TE37-style bronze wheels, I got one more question left regarding the size:

My summer tires are 215/45R17, which would fit rims 7 to 8 inches wide. I am not planning on going wider tires, and I want to avoid rolling the arches, so 7 and 7,5 widths are my options. Is there any significant difference between them clearance/weight/looks-wise?

After long consideration I have decided to go with TE37-style bronze wheels, I got one more question left regarding the size:

My summer tires are 215/45R17, which would fit rims 7 to 8 inches wide. I am not planning on going wider tires, and I want to avoid rolling the arches, so 7 and 7,5 widths are my options. Is there any significant difference between them clearance/weight/looks-wise?

Depends on your offset I guess, If you get wider tires you'd want a lower offset to compensate for the extra half an inch. The lower the offset the more it would poke out. If you like the stock look, then you'd get wheels with 17 x 7.5 +~38.

Check out willtheyfit.com, you can play around with the different specs.

Back