• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New bulbs & decent oil for new owner?

Posting this on behalf of a relative.

BULB ISSUE:

They've picked up a 54-plate that appears to have factory fitted HIDs. I believe the bulbs are D2S? Problem is the light output is quite poor and we're not 100% sure what the cause is. Whether it's crappy bulbs or something going on with the lens itself.
The drivers side seems 'better'. The passenger one seems to point lower for some reason. The previous owner appears to have been a fan of the blue-tint bulb (probably around the 6000K rating). Not knocking anyone who's in to that kind of thing but relative & I prefer the more white look of about a 4300K is it?

Preferring not to shell out 3-figures for bulbs, what's regarded as some decent bulbs to buy for this (that aren't blue)? Any takers on the cause of the output being so poor?

OIL:

Usually buy oil from Opie Oils. I know it's 5w/40 but what brand do you guys prefer to get in? Just wondering what the community choose to get really.

The car may have featured on here or other forums maybe since it's had a ton of owners. I think my relative is now the 8th owner. FM54HGA is the reg. Colour is grey.

I quite like the Gulf Competition 5w50. Opie also has sales semi-frequently which reduces the cost but it's not too much to start with - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60122-...-racing-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

As for the bulbs, HID don't mount the same way so it could be that what/how ever they've mounted the bulb in the assembly is not straight. You could get something like the Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Brilliance series of bulbs and drop them in if they haven't done a tragic rewire to fit the ballasts.

Most people I talked to when looking for my Civic lied about how they treated it, "Oh, yeah, it's always running V-Power, and it's got Miller's Nanodrive in it, and, and..." etc. Trust no-one and just make sure you know what goes into it from now on.

Castrol, Shell, Gulf, Petronas, Mobil 1 etc. Which is what all manufacturers use. Any fully synthetic 5w40 will do.

Halfords own would be fine, last I heard it's Castrol inside the bottles anyway.

Might have found the cause of the problem with the poor light output. He's just pulled the bulb tonight & they're labelled up as H1. According to Powerbulbs.com these are correct for the reflector lenses but not the projector ones (which should be D2S)?

Photo 07-02-2019, 7 59 53 pm.jpg
Photo 07-02-2019, 8 01 09 pm.jpg

Now i had an aftermarket HID kit installed to my Astra some years ago and it looked like the first picture there.
With his lenses being factory fitted projectors i am guessing the first pic isn't what he wants and he's actually needing something that looks like the 2nd picture, right? Something like so : https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-night-breaker-unlimited-d2s-twin

Only thing is he's talking about the wiring being a mess. I haven't seen it myself but that makes it sound like it'd need to be like the first image.

Just looking for a bit of insight as to what he'll be needing. Thanks.

Back