• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone know the history of this FK8 for sale at Newbury?

don't know the car but spotted a few light mods have been done - carbon gearknob and gearstick trim as well as the lower section of steering wheel. also been "CIVIC" debadged on the rear.

Black mirror caps look good, and like the interior mods. Obvious problem is it's not champ white of course though :D

Aren't Newbury on the dodgy dealer list though?

Put it this way the decent dealer list is a lot smaller than the dodgy dealers list, I've known people to drive quite a decent distance just for a decent service.

I've been to a dealer who was totally clueless on servicing type R's but any other civic they were fine, then you have Grantham Honda who are well known with type R's

yep, I am gonna go to Chiswick where I bought the car, and not my Local Crown Honda Bushey. Crown Honda went for an 8 mile jolly, whereas Chiswick have loads of type r's and NSX's so will just want to get mine out of the service bay to make way for Mavis and her jazz.

a ha! You interested in that one then Misterc? Sorry if I put you off the dealer...:(

Thanks for all the replies. I am still toying with the idea. Its an urge I just cant get rid of..... and it won't go until I buy one. I am tempted by drivethedeal as they are offering the FK8 at £30,200 if you are buying cash.

Im keen to get into one but the major thing putting me off pushing the button is all the gearbox stuff I have been reading. I may well get a 'good un' but I may also end up with the headache many others on this forum and CIVICX have had with duff gearbox caused by 'driver error'. I am pretty sure that the 'driver error' claim wouldn't stand up in court (with the gearbox not being fit for purpose). But is exposing oneself to this whole world of pain potentially worth it?

I feel like its tossing a coin and hoping for the best. My heart says do it my head says don't be so stupid. It's a real ****er to be fair as I want to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im keen to get into one but the major thing putting me off pushing the button is all the gearbox stuff I have been reading. I may well get a 'good un' but I may also end up with the headache many others on this forum and CIVICX have had with duff gearbox caused by 'driver error'. I am pretty sure that the 'driver error' claim wouldn't stand up in court (with the gearbox not being fit for purpose). But is exposing oneself to this whole world of pain potentially worth it?

I feel like its tossing a coin and hoping for the best. My heart says do it my head says don't be so stupid.

i've been following the fk8 gearbox issues as i too have had problems on my FK2.
i've had 2 occurrences. both times a clutch has fixed it. one on warranty, 2nd time at my own cost as i simply didn't want a 3rd honda clutch in there. Time will tell if the Xtreme clutch has fixed it. try me again in 14months. while i am hopeful non-honda clutch has sorted it for me it could also be down to how much cash i've spent on it... damn well better have fixed it!
Flyingato on yt says clutch hydraulic work fixed his problem. Personally, i'm of the viewpoint with both my own and his findings that gearbox is a symptom of whatever the problem is.
hydraulic didn't fix anything for me. multiple bleeds using various methods, removing CDV, and also fitted a braided line (why not since i had the system split for CDV removal) with no shift improvement.

i've been following the fk8 gearbox issues as i too have had problems on my FK2.
i've had 2 occurrences. both times a clutch has fixed it. one on warranty, 2nd time at my own cost as i simply didn't want a 3rd honda clutch in there. Time will tell if the Xtreme clutch has fixed it. try me again in 14months. while i am hopeful non-honda clutch has sorted it for me it could also be down to how much cash i've spent on it... damn well better have fixed it!
Flyingato on yt says clutch hydraulic work fixed his problem. Personally, i'm of the viewpoint with both my own and his findings that gearbox is a symptom of whatever the problem is.
hydraulic didn't fix anything for me. multiple bleeds using various methods, removing CDV, and also fitted a braided line (why not since i had the system split for CDV removal) with no shift improvement.

I hope after forking out for all that you've fixed the problem but you shouldn't have had to......

I feel like its tossing a coin and hoping for the best. My heart says do it my head says don't be so stupid. It's a real ****er to be fair as I want to do it.

yeah it is a gamble, I am one of the luckier ones it seems, but I think have a good test drive of one and make sure all smooth. Of course it could develop at a later stage but I am as good as 14k in now and its fine. I also think...and bein prepared to be shot down, its a higher percentage of cars that are fine than not...so anyway, back to Russian roulette..:lol:

6000 miles from new - no lockouts, or graunching between shifts. gearbox is a bit draggy/clunky when it's stone cold, also on the odd occasion on a relaxed drive, I sometimes find myself going down from 6th to 5th that you do need to be quite deliberate in your action to hold the shifter to the right to avoid trying going 6th to 3rd.

I'm of the viewpoint the winchester-rifle like shifting is part of the car's character and such as the marketing folk are quick to remind us it's a "Race car for the Road" whilst ultimately capable as motorway cruiser or family shopping wagon it is after all a Type R and the R stands for Racing right, not Repmobile :)

Agree AllyC, I just wish the gear stick was mounted on the dash like the Ep3. Now that was a gear shift to behold (and lets face it, you did it a lot as they forgot to add torque)

Thanks for all the replies. I am still toying with the idea. Its an urge I just cant get rid of..... and it won't go until I buy one. I am tempted by drivethedeal as they are offering the FK8 at £30,200 if you are buying cash.

That's good! Is that a GT model?

When I got mine a few weeks ago, salesman said they only do the GT model now. Stopped doing the standard model due to very low sales (god knows if this is correct or just dealer patter)

wouldn't surprise me - we all know it was so they can say "type r from 30,995' etc.

they wouldn't be able to shift it off the forecourt 2nd hand unless heavily discounted from the GT

Back