• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2 Rear Shocks

Hi all

One of the jobs to do on my new to me Type R is to replace the rear shocks as they feel like they have zero damping on them.

I've looked online and found these, however not sure what the difference is?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/12794426
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1225701

There's also cheaper ones from the same website https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts...civic/civic-viii-hatchback-fn-fk/26588-type-r

But not sure what the thoughts are on these. I'm planning to use them with an eibach pro kit, which I believe will improve the ride a little bit?

Thanks
Chris

The Honda ones are made by Sachs.
You should be able to get the Honda part number for your car and then match to the right one - try eurocarparts as well.

Hi Chris - I put eibach progressive rate springs with a 15mm lower height on my fn2. I didn't think they helped the ride noticeably.

I then put Koni yellows on (with the eibachs). They did give a significant improvement and my wife is now happy to ride in the car :D

There are no Koni yellows specifically designated for the fn2. The part numbers I used were:

8641-1416SPOR and
8041-1360SPOR.

I think the second part number is for the rears. Fitting was no problem but the shop noted: "Cut and modified front strut assemblies to suit new inserts". I think they just cut down the adjusting mechanism on top. The rears just seem to be a direct replacement.

I run the shocks a quarter turn off the softest setting. I don't track the car so I don't know what it would be like under extreme conditions, but it makes it easy to live with every day. I really enjoy driving it and hope to keep it for a long time.

Cheers - Ghillie

Chris - Thinking about it some more, the shop's note - "Cut and modified front strut assemblies to suit new inserts" couldn't have been just for the top adjusting screw. I can't recall what they did to modify the strut assemblies, but I'm sure they said it wasn't difficult. I can ask them and find out exactly what it was they did if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Also I think the top adjusting screw wasn't modified - it was the little plastic tool which fits over the screw to adjust the shock that had to be cut down a bit. It's a tight space where the shock emerges from the car's structure next to the bonnet hinges. The rears are easy to access.

Cheers - Ghillie

Hi Chris - I put eibach progressive rate springs with a 15mm lower height on my fn2. I didn't think they helped the ride noticeably.

I then put Koni yellows on (with the eibachs). They did give a significant improvement and my wife is now happy to ride in the car :D

There are no Koni yellows specifically designated for the fn2. The part numbers I used were:

8641-1416SPOR and
8041-1360SPOR.

I think the second part number is for the rears. Fitting was no problem but the shop noted: "Cut and modified front strut assemblies to suit new inserts". I think they just cut down the adjusting mechanism on top. The rears just seem to be a direct replacement.

I run the shocks a quarter turn off the softest setting. I don't track the car so I don't know what it would be like under extreme conditions, but it makes it easy to live with every day. I really enjoy driving it and hope to keep it for a long time.

Cheers - Ghillie

Hi Ghillie,

What made you go for Koni/Eibach combo, checking prices of the above, seems like all in, you're getting into coil over territory.

I'm about to get eibachs and as with OP, considering Sachs to replace the standard shocks which have covered 94k now.

But I will be doing some track work, so perhaps coil overs is the way to go.

Hi Red

I did the Eibachs first (after what I read on this forum) and only after finding they didn't achieve the ride I was looking for did I add the Konis. I can't remember how carefully I looked at a coil-over option, but it would have meant ditching the Eibachs.

I got the idea for the Konis from a post on a South African Type R forum. The poster had done what I did - tried the Eibachs and then added the Konis. The particular model of Koni I used was the same he used which had been recommended to him by a Koni supplier in SA. The poster was happy with the outcome so I thought I'd give it a go.

I can't say whether coil-overs would be better, worse or just the same as what I have. But the Eibach Koni combination has worked for me. I also run 235/40 R18 Eagle f1 tyres which (I understand) have a slightly deeper sidewall than the original spec tyres, so that may contribute to the ride a bit too. With the Eibachs the car sits a bit lower and the tyres fill out the arches a bit more. It looks pretty good I think.

Cheers - Ghillie

Back