• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R petrol engine oil capacity

Afternoon all. A quick question. Has any Type R petrol engine ever had an oil capacity of 5 Litres? That goes for 2.0, 2.4 and the lump in the S2000.

I need to arm myself with the facts before I contradict somebody who believes the FN2 can take 5L. I don't believe the K20 can take any more than 4.5 Litres, and that is pushing it.

It's about 4.7l I think with the filter done properly. If you overfill by a few mm as most people recommend it's pretty much a 5l bottle used.

Really? I've always gone with anything over the prescribed amount as being too much. I do give my FN2 a good workout but it hasn't started to drink oil yet.

So can I explicity state that 4.7 L is the very max that the K20A can take? I know what the manual states and that will be presented as evidence, m'lud.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea what the manual says, sorry, but 4.7 rings a bell.

It's recommended to overfill by a few mm if using the car on track. A few mm won't do it any harm at all, people have been doing it on the K20 for over 18 years. However long left handers without the oil being full can cause damage.

The last service I did on my ep3 took pretty much the full 5 Ltrs of oil to bring it to the max line. This was after using engine flush.

I have done over 15 oil changes in my EP3 and i have always put the full 5 litres in. Never done any damage.

The manual does state 4.7l but with a filter change as well i have put the full 5l in and it registered on the max level of the dipstick.

Yep Ive always got 5 litres for a change and use pretty much all of it so 4.7-5 litres is right.

Back