• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Knocking from rear of car... any usual suspects?

fmp

Hey guys, I have a knocking sound coming from the rear of my 2002 JDM ep3.

It sounds like its getting worse with time/miles.

Its a fairly loud knock as I go over any bumps in the road.

I am planning on getting under the car tonight, but as I have not owned an ep3 before, is there any common parts that fail or that could cause this sound?

Also, where is the best place to jack it up from to lift both rear wheels if possible.

Thanks for any replies.

Mat

The rear tow hook point for jacking both wheels, I trust you have a trolley jack and axle stands?
Check bushes, drop links etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it might be.

So I am going to look at droplink, play in shock, make sure the springs look ok. exhaust rubbing maybe??

All suggestions welcome!
The rear droplinks are a right pain to get off. I usually end up cutting it off lol. What exhaust do you have on car? Oem or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Took a look, nothing immediately obvious. Nothing broken. So going to jack it up again, get the wheels off and look more thoroughly.

Not sure if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here but sometimes just looking won't tell you the full story. You need a pry bar (crow will do) to put some load onto the different parts to determine if there's any unwanted play/movement.

Not sure if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here but sometimes just looking won't tell you the full story. You need a pry bar (crow will do) to put some load onto the different parts to determine if there's any unwanted play/movement.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I guess for a quick initial look, it allowed me to establish there was nothing broken or that had clearly failed. Hopefully on the weekend I can do as you mention and get some force onto the different components of the suspension.

Any play in the rarb?

Not that my quick check could see, although one of the arb drop links was solid and the other had a bit of wiggle in it, so possibly this could be it? I assume they both need to be rock solid?

Back