• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone running 255/30R20 or 255/35R20 tyres on the standard rims?

So I’ve not had the car very long but I’ve been considering what to do about the wheel and tyre set up on the FK8, I’m generally very careful with my wheels and I have managed to only rarely damage them. However the size of the standard wheels and the lack of rim protection from the Conti tyres in the OEM size has got me a bit worried for their well being.

I think I have decided not to change the suspension or the size of the wheels. This leaves me with the very limited option of changing tyre size. It seems like 255/30 R20 is the best option? If the aspect ratio is increased I think other sizes are going to result in too large of a rolling radius. So I’d like to know if anyone has switched to a wider tyre to try to improve the rim protection? Which Brand/Model have you tried and what were the results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep think it's a combo of very low sales, concerns over warranty, plus it's not bad fresh out the box so no ones really modding them

i also think its a mentality thing. does seem to be far more americans using forums and they seem more into 'race' events than the UK... autox alone seems to be very big over there, let alone trackdays.
insurance probably another one. when i were younger, far more modded cars around that now. younger drivers are priced out of it so never get that fever and as a result stick with standard. DIY seems to be less of a thing in the UK too. If you find info and guides, i'd say majority come from across the pond.
certainly a lot of the info i've been reading on tuning is usa based. fack all info from the UK, and nothing from japan (maybe because it's in japanese so excluded in search results) even though they're also big in to modding and track.

would've thought warranty concerns would be the same over there than here?

U.K. Sales are most likely minuscule compared to US, to be honest I have always modded all of my cars but feel little need to do much to the FK8 it is performance and handling wise superb, exhaust noise was lacking so replaced that, still haven't fitted my Eventuri :( but sort of regret buying it now as it doesn't need it.

would've thought warranty concerns would be the same over there than here?

They have a case law over there which states the failure of a component/system has to be directly related to the modding you have done for them to refuse it. I know we have that sort of but Honda can wriggle out of it but over their it's much tighter so by law in the US if you fit an exhaust and your gearbox goes it's under warranty. Having said that they don't seem to give a sh1t as they are all chucking on the vtuner etc so modding big part of the culture over there for sure.

Over onthe focus Rs owners forum loads of modders but higher sales and the big thing there is the mountune Warranty friendly ones. I would 100% of modded by now if mugen did the same

I have fitted 4 x Uniroyal Rainsports 255/30/20 tyres for £500 fitted and balanced by the main dealer in December and not one mark on the alloys (tyres from camskill delivered to the dealer and the dealer fitted). done around 2000miles now no regrets and had the service yesterday which confirmed the fronts had worn by 1.1mm so these should be good for 10-12k on the front. To be fair I could not even tell you the main differences now as I am now used to what is fitted. However I can confirm since fitting the 255/35/20 tyres

1) the speed is accurate within 1mph
2) when the wheels do break traction and spin, the front of the car no longer hops but actually is really smooth and you notice the traction control light more than wheel spin
3) the tyres no longer drag on full lock and make an horrible noise which I suspect was down to the thin tyre wall allowing no flex when at low speeds on full lock
4) the old vibration rattle that was near impossible to locate and cure that occurs at a certain rev range and only when the dash etc is very cold no longer rattles
5) for sure the Rainsports do feel better in the cold and wet however at around 2 degrees and less I think they do drop off a cliff on initial bite when cold like the CSC6 do when damp and below 10 degrees but they are no worse
6) no longer nearly have a shaking cash card when I get within 2 foot of a kerb due to having the 225/35 tyre
7) tyre size no longer looks strange due to seeing a tyre wall on the rim
8 ) not sure if this is luck or down to the tyres stickiness etc but not had any stones in the disk guards for a month now which is a new experience and to be fair you could always see the loose grit stuck to the CSC6 while no where near as noticeable with the Rainsports.

Gut feeling says if these last between 10-12k on the front following the service yesterday so there good value and fine if not another set of front and then I might try AS3 or PS4 if I still have the car after I have gone through 2 sets of Rainsports on the front but for sure the size will be 255/35/20 as I will not be going back to oem size. However nearly paid the car off now and getting an itch for a the new EX Hybrid CR-V.

Hmmm, I was gonna say you will miss the grip and stickiness in the summer.....but if your thinking of a crv maybe performance isn't key to you anyway?! :p (I jest of course)

To be honest I know in the summer they will not be as sticky as a CSC6 but as I will not be driving the car on a track I doubt I will miss the difference as there is only so much you can use on a pubic road. I guess if they do break a little you may have to feed the throttle a little in the lower gears but as I have said it does not take long to get up to speed and at the end of the day this is a daily used car.

Hi,

RickHondaR thank you for your feedback on 255/35/20. Redcap what was your decision at the end?

Did a lot of reading about tyre changing experience on civic forum (US).
A lot of drivers stating that 255/35 made the car perform even better and they could do even better times on track and daily drivers say the ride is smoother and they have more grip in all stages/type of driving on PS4s tyres.
Any feedback would be great before spending 1k on new shoes ;)

Hi,

Redcap what was your decision at the end?

Any feedback would be great before spending 1k on new shoes ;)

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to be making mistakes when it come to spending a grand on tyres! Useful information is tricky to come by on this subject it seems.

It seems very few UK owners have changed tyre size and/or brand/model. For the moment I have rotated the wheels on my car so that I will need a set of 4 tyres once they have all worn to the point of needing to be replaced as a set.

I am planning to replace them with 255/30 R20 PS4S’s as they seem to be the regarded as the best alternative tyre to the Conti’s. I would prefer not to go to a 35 profile as I believe the rolling radius will be to large of an increase over the OE tyre.

i ran the csc6's (235/35/19), and then jumped to 255/35/19... dunlop rt2, ps4s, cup2.
for road only, i'd be happy with the RT2's. cheaper than the 4s's and you really have to be pushing to get to the limit of them. not ideal for track. 4s's very similar but good for mild track imo. cup2's noticably worse in the wet than those two, but i've no qualms running them on the road. definately not a tyre for winter or much below 7c.

positive +20mm tyres: smoother ride and better wheel protection.
down side: lost the sharpness of the csc6's

since the offset didnt change, no problem with handling or feel. i do wonder what 255/30/19's would feel like. likely loose the smooth ride but keep the sharpness of OE size

I am planning to replace them with 255/30 R20 PS4S’s as they seem to be the regarded as the best alternative tyre to the Conti’s. I would prefer not to go to a 35 profile as I believe the rolling radius will be to large of an increase over the OE tyre.

I’ve gone for the PS4S 255/35 R20 and it’s the best thing I’ve done. Ride is more composed. Potholes that you hit by accident don’t hit the alloy. Speedo is about 1 mph out but still over reads (just by a smaller amount). I won’t hesitate to use this size again in the future. Added bonus that this size is £80 a corner cheaper.

OEM Contis seem to have a stiff sidewall, but they're angled slightly meaning they fold over very easily, both during cornering and when you hit potholes. I don't think you need to increase the width to protect the rim.

I'm running 245/30/20 Pilot Sport Cup 2's, and they seem to protect the rim very from potholes well, even though they have zero sidewall protection (the rim actually sticks out from the tyre). The sidewall sits square so they don't squish over easily when you hit a pothole.

I'm going to go for the 'R01' (OEM Audi) Pilot Sport Cup 2 next in the same size, as that model of tyre has rim protection apparently. I think the Pilot Sport 4S has a softer sidewall compared to the Contis and Michelin PSC2, so you'd likely lose a little sharpness. Depends what you're using the car for!

So I have finally got round to needing new tyres, I have gone for the Michelin PS4S in 255/35/R20, I wanted to go for the 255/30/R20 but I was struggling to find them available currently.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s/255/35/R20/Y/97/m?tyre=35790915

Total Cost £627.28 fully fitted.

I'm not sure if this is the best size? but I will try them and see for this price. There's a lot of good feedback on this tyre and size so i'm hoping it's a good decision!

So I have finally got round to needing new tyres, I have gone for the Michelin PS4S in 255/35/R20, I wanted to go for the 255/30/R20 but I was struggling to find them available currently.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s/255/35/R20/Y/97/m?tyre=35790915

Total Cost £627.28 fully fitted.

I'm not sure if this is the best size? but I will try them and see for this price. There's a lot of good feedback on this tyre and size so i'm hoping it's a good decision!

I imagine they've not been fitted yet? I'd be interested to see how they look on the wheel rim protection wise. There seems to be a bit more choice in that size too..

Back