• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone running 255/30R20 or 255/35R20 tyres on the standard rims?

I imagine they've not been fitted yet? I'd be interested to see how they look on the wheel rim protection wise. There seems to be a bit more choice in that size too..

Fitting cancelled due to COVID-19 so I'll have to wait a while to find out....

Can anyone that has either of these sizes fitted post some pics to show how they look on the standard wheels and suspension?

There are more options in the 255 35 size for sure and they are significantly cheaper as well.

I too have installed 255/35/20 on my standard rims. To me I believe they should have had 35 profiles from the factory.
For street driving they're perfect to me, smoother ride, better grip, wheel hop has gone completely which I was amazed at
Get the usual amber light when on full acceleration but no torque steer still (using Falken Azenis)
overall I'm pleased as punch with this size and I have been running them for aprrox 2k miles so far

I too have installed 255/35/20 on my standard rims. To me I believe they should have had 35 profiles from the factory.
For street driving they're perfect to me, smoother ride, better grip, wheel hop has gone completely which I was amazed at ��
Get the usual amber light when on full acceleration but no torque steer still (using Falken Azenis)
overall I'm pleased as punch with this size and I have been running them for aprrox 2k miles so far

Could you put some pics up?

couple of photos attached...

see if this works.... ?
front wheel.jpgrear wheel.jpg

i think they fill the arches up nicely and they dont rub or catch anywhere, even going over speed humps :)

Thanks Mick, that's really helpful...but just to double check you haven't got spacers on have you as they do seem to fill the arches nicely?

I have 245/35/20 Continentals Sport Contact 6's on mine. They feel fantastic on track and even better on the road, and are cheaper than OEM sizes, too.

Michelins have softer sidewalls so may make the car feel a little more 'floaty'. If you only use your car on the road that might not bother you though, and they'll be much harder wearing than the Contis.

I have 245/35/20 Continentals Sport Contact 6's on mine. They feel fantastic on track and even better on the road, and are cheaper than OEM sizes, too.

Michelins have softer sidewalls so may make the car feel a little more 'floaty'. If you only use your car on the road that might not bother you though, and they'll be much harder wearing than the Contis.

I’m now thinking I might try some Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport’s in 245/35R20? Has anyone tried these? They are said to have a very stiff sidewall.

I’m not sure I like the idea of “floaty” Michelin’s. I’m used to having a lot of steering feel and feedback so I’m concerned that the PS4S as great of a tyre as it is might make the car feel less pointed? That would not be good IMO.

OCD alert - please check the placement of the H center cap and locking wheel nut on the fitting ;-)

edit: and I'm surprised Fan didn't spot this before me.

I’m now thinking I might try some Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport’s in 245/35R20? Has anyone tried these? They are said to have a very stiff sidewall.

I’m not sure I like the idea of “floaty” Michelin’s. I’m used to having a lot of steering feel and feedback so I’m concerned that the PS4S as great of a tyre as it is might make the car feel less pointed? That would not be good IMO.

I doubt you could tell the difference, I run Michelin’s on the front Conti’s on the rear, there is so little in it that I’m not totally convinced I can tell the difference. Contis on the front were shot in 3.5k, the Michelin’s have done 7.5k and reckon good for another 2.5k. If I had unlimited budget for tyres I would still stick with the Michelin’s they are a better tyre based on all areas.

I went through two sets of Conti's in under 6K. I am now on Michelin PS4's all round and cannot say that I can detect any discernible difference and I too think that I am going to get much more out of them at the current wear rate.

Cheers

Update
So I finally got my 255/35R20 Michelin PS4S’s fitted this morning. Based on a very short drive with them fitted (may be 30 miles). These are my initial thoughts so far, once I have put some miles on them I will update for those who are interested or thinking of changing tyre brand and or size.

Upside
Much smoother over cracks, lumps, bumps, potholes and man hole covers. Way less crashy as you would expect.
Significantly more rim protection.
Look better IMO, I always thought the 245/30 looked too small on the wheel and in the wheel arch.
Speedo is only 1mph off now instead of 3mph, it reads roughly 1mph higher than GPS.
Cheaper to replace tyres in this size, £60 cheaper per tyre compared to the same tyre in OE size.
No more annoying juddering on full lock.
Should have a better wear rate than the Conti’s, I expect them to last twice as long...

Downside
Steering feels slightly less sharp (will have to see how much this bothers me).
Cornering is a little vague so far (might feel better when I get used to them?).
I can feel that I am sitting higher (may be over sensitive to this?).
TPMS light came on, I have recalibrated the system (we’ll see if it comes back on?).

Will I stick with this size? Not sure yet but I would have thought so as for real world driving on UK roads in all conditions I think this tyre and size will be hard to beat.

There are some compromises of course but the upsides outweigh the downsides I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TPMS light shouldn't come back on once reset mine did the same when I swapped. I can honestly say I never felt I was sitting any higher though? :confused:

The TPMS light shouldn't come back on once reset mine did the same when I swapped. I can honestly say I never felt I was sitting any higher though? :confused:

I think it’s quite normal as you say it should be fine, I should also check what tyre pressure the tyre fitters used. With regards to the height it’s only half an inch so it’s probably just me being overly sensitive, I think my comments about the steering and cornering feel are in part because I’m looking for differences.

I’d save your feedback until you have put a few hundred miles on, the tyres when new quite often release an agent and they never feel right which may explain your findings. How ever your comments are the reasons I wouldn’t change, I’m such a fussy bugger when it comes to the car feeling just right and I think they will do exactly as you describe.

I’d save your feedback until you have put a few hundred miles on, the tyres when new quite often release an agent and they never feel right which may explain your findings. How ever your comments are the reasons I wouldn’t change, I’m such a fussy bugger when it comes to the car feeling just right and I think they will do exactly as you describe.

Totally get where you’re coming from and I’m very fussy too, I’m probably reporting things others might not even notice?

Are you referring to the change in tyre size rather than changing from the OE Continental’s?

Bottom line is the differences are really minor. It’s also early days so we’ll see how they go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes change in tyre size. Having run both in standard sizes difficult to tell between the two except at service time as the Michelins last a lot longer.

Back