• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Honda closing Swindon plant

You’re all crying over spilt milk.
The death of the modern hot hatch has been coming for a while now. Fossil fuel isn’t going to last forever and there are more important places for it to be used.
Yes it sucks that Swindon is going. And yes it’s sh!t people are losing their jobs. But companies saw this coming years ago. They knew that the future was green, and energy efficient cars were what was needed. But they refused to get on board, they kept pushing the gas guzzlers and the hot hatches hoping things would go their way, and guess what? They were wrong. Their hybrids are boring, their all electric cars are dire and overpriced. But they don’t care.
Do you all really think Honda actually cares that they’re closing a plant on the opposite side of the world? All it is to them is a money saving exercise. No petitions or sit ins in your car will change what’s going to happen.
I feel for the workers, I really do. But that’s about it. Honda don’t care. And the car manufacturers in general don’t care. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hot hatch or whatever it evolves to will survive in one format or another if the market is there for it.

Car manufacturers, or businesses in general are just in it to make the best bottom line.

WRT electric battery powered vehicles, I personally can't believe that is the future, irrespective of advances in battery tech. A Tesla looks good until you consider it runs on the equivalent of thousands of laptop batteries with a huge weight compromise and unknown ongoing supply and disposal problems. Meanwhile hydrogen powered cars look attractive, but longer term development is needed to justify a business case, and also not without cost and power distribution issues.

WRT electric battery powered vehicles, I personally can't believe that is the future, irrespective of advances in battery tech. A Tesla looks good until you consider it runs on the equivalent of thousands of laptop batteries with a huge weight compromise and unknown ongoing supply and disposal problems. Meanwhile hydrogen powered cars look attractive, but longer term development is needed to justify a business case, and also not without cost and power distribution issues.

you're not alone. i remember reading about a year ago that there was division with fuel-of-the-future in the automotive sector too. iirc half of jap brands are going battery, the other is fuel cell. Honda did the switch between Insight and Clarity so looks like they've announced their bettings. Personally, i want fuel cell to be the future.
i'm also expecting fewer differences in cars too - more joint ventures. also expecting manufacturers to disappear as they just can't get the sales.

The biggest thing is the electrical infrastructure. I don’t see any of the big electrical companies investing in larger substations, cables etc etc. Being in the industry I know there is only one nuclear new build in this country and we are decommissioning all of our power stations. What about families with more than one car. I know for a fact my house’s power supply can’t support three battery chargers and the load the house puts on it as well. Someone wouldn’t be going to work tomorrow.

Yep, totally agree, we are just not set up infrastructure wise for the timeframe the gov wants electric cars on the road...We don't have enough electricity now, let alone when all these cars are plugged in overnight needed a top up...

I work for an oil company and we have invested in electric charging points for retail stations, but we are only talking one or two at selected sites....a charge still may take 45 mins....be nice to get stuck behind 5 teslas needing some juice. That's a few quid on coffees though inside!

excellent. i can think of a few places i can do 50/60 through 30's. with this system, it'll be legal right? < GPS
i can also think of a few places i'll be doing 20 in 40's too. < TSR
i can also think of a few places where it doesnt know about the road. GPS keeps forcing you to local roads. road has been open for a full year, and still isnt on the Garmin satnav.

more **** we dont need.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest thing is the electrical infrastructure. I don’t see any of the big electrical companies investing in larger substations, cables etc etc. Being in the industry I know there is only one nuclear new build in this country and we are decommissioning all of our power stations. What about families with more than one car. I know for a fact my house’s power supply can’t support three battery chargers and the load the house puts on it as well. Someone wouldn’t be going to work tomorrow.

We have enough load in our gaff, largely down to a ground up build but agree most not set up for multiple cars, then there are those that don't have off street parking. However there was a report I read that said if people charged cars at night during low demand times then the current infrastructure can cope, bear in mind all household appliances along with car batteries are constantly improving.

Long long term using fossil fuels is not the way forward at all, in my lifetime the petrol engine will continue. But at some point the price will go through the roof as the forecourts will stop selling petrol and become quite limited to get.

If I was clever which I'm not I would design a device that gave you hybrid power for petrol engines of old, make a pretty packet that would :D

You’re all crying over spilt milk.
The death of the modern hot hatch has been coming for a while now. Fossil fuel isn’t going to last forever and there are more important places for it to be used.
Yes it sucks that Swindon is going. And yes it’s sh!t people are losing their jobs. But companies saw this coming years ago. They knew that the future was green, and energy efficient cars were what was needed. But they refused to get on board, they kept pushing the gas guzzlers and the hot hatches hoping things would go their way, and guess what? They were wrong. Their hybrids are boring, their all electric cars are dire and overpriced. But they don’t care.
Do you all really think Honda actually cares that they’re closing a plant on the opposite side of the world? All it is to them is a money saving exercise. No petitions or sit ins in your car will change what’s going to happen.
I feel for the workers, I really do. But that’s about it. Honda don’t care. And the car manufacturers in general don’t care. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peak oil is a myth. Its only the west that is 'anti fossil fuel' and we will regret it once all of our industry has moved east. Politicians will be fine on fat final salary pensions. Guess who's not going to be fine in the brave new world? Yup, the average jane and joe tax payers (and their kids even more so). They have undermined the UK located manufacturers with made up diesel problems and insane anti ICE policies. The manufacturers just make sensible decisions in the prevailing conditions. Simple as that.

Unlike the article, I think Honda are still quirky...maybe too much. They took a gamble in not following the cookie cutter design of the normal hatch (looking at you merc A class, new Focus) but unfortunately for the masses it's a little too awkward in the design

Honda's big problem for me don't have a fiesta rivaling car which the yoof love, their golf/focus rival is as above, ok on SUV I guess but their customer base is ageing and all I can say is the Jazz sums up their problem for me.

The Type R is regarded as the best though and the NSX is technically applauded so the engineering know how is there

Needs a range refresh

I think the new EV will do really well, its cute styling and upto date feel will attract a whole new customer, my dealer has my name down for the first one they get. I'm not interested in EV hot hatch or sports car so hoping they do something else as the FK8 will be my last Type R

This is UK-centric (maybe Europe-centric) Civics and Accords are selling like hot potatoes in the US:
https://www.businessinsider.com/bes...8-2018-8?r=US&IR=T#2-honda-civic-176242-03-19

I was in Miami in Nov 2018 for a week and I was amazed at the amount of new Civics I saw!!!

Someone pointed out before in this thread that all of Europe bought less than 10% of the cars China and US did. It's a shame though...

If the next Type R uses an electric motor to augment a petrol engine as per the NSX it could be rather good. Instant torque and probably AWD to handle it plus top end from a powerful petrol engine.

As you say - it's all speculation and 2025 is a long way away. Isn't the next Civic due in 2022? Perhaps Honda will do the same as with the FK2 and wait until it's nearly out of production.

If the next Type R uses an electric motor to augment a petrol engine as per the NSX it could be rather good. Instant torque and probably AWD to handle it plus top end from a powerful petrol engine.

As you say - it's all speculation and 2025 is a long way away. Isn't the next Civic due in 2022? Perhaps Honda will do the same as with the FK2 and wait until it's nearly out of production.

i'm sceptical.
anything performance EV/hybrid isn't in the realm of hot hatch money. double up on your budget and you might be close to something possible. i can't actually think of anything performance EV/hybrid sub 100k but after a quick search there doesn't appear to be much choice regardless: https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-hybrid-and-electric-sports-cars

no arguments about the tech, just it fitting the required budget.

Back