• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Honda closing Swindon plant

Or no more type R's, and even then imagine the factory morale towards 2022, all those ****ed off workers building cars,
And after 2022 all Hondas will be JDM so no doubt import fees on top of future orders, especially if we're out of the EU

And after 2022 all Hondas will be JDM so no doubt import fees on top of future orders, especially if we're out of the EU

might start getting properly built cars if jap built... accord, s2000, nsx and integra (afaik) all jap factories.
probably be my last honda anyway - NA VTEC gone, so the brand is just the same as anything else now. nissan and toyota performance stuff is far more luring that anything honda. Maybe lexus but they'd need a big diet for track performance.

It's not just us.
I hear the Turkish factory is closing too, just after they set it up to produce the new Civic saloon (that probably won't sell in huge numbers).

And our energy system is being wrecked by utterly dumb renewables - too expensive as a result (for us and industry)

I looked at sales figures for 2018 outside of their domestic market.

Europe - 136,000 cars sold
US - 1,446,000 cars sold
China - 1,452,000 cars sold

It's very sad for those concerned, but it can't come as a great surprise they are pulling out of manufacturing in the UK and possibly Turkey, especially when they can import cars from Japan to the EU bloc tariff free in a few years. Also the Swindon plant has been running at half capacity for some time and only builds the Civic hatchback.

This has been on the cards for at least 18 months, I feel for the workforce but it was no secret.

Europe is just not that big of a market for Honda.

I really wonder if 2022 spells the end for the civic Type r. Like the focus RS, any new one would prob have some sort of electric/hybrid power, which would make it heavy, more expensive and not exactly selling like hot cakes are they at current price styling aside. Where they are selling in the USA, we have seen ford drop the focus in favour of suvs and pick ups...

Enjoy it while we can guys, we are in the sweet spot now before electric charging, too much autonomy and demolition man style instant speeding tickets printed from the dash for going over 70.1 mph..

Electric tech is moving quite quickly now, think the next two Type Rs will be hybrid.

Honda is behind others in releasing a car, so will be Interesting to see how the brand develops it, history would say they will do something different to others .

might start getting properly built cars if jap built... accord, s2000, nsx and integra (afaik) all jap factories.
probably be my last honda anyway - NA VTEC gone, so the brand is just the same as anything else now. nissan and toyota performance stuff is far more luring that anything honda. Maybe lexus but they'd need a big diet for track performance.

The brand is the same as everything else?

The only performance car sticking to FWD, the only one with actual aero, the only one designed and focused on track, the only one still using a manual box...

Nissan haven't made anything new or exciting since the unaffordable GTR or the dated 370Z.

Toyota are using a BMW Z4 engine and chassis in the new Supra and the GT86 uses a Subaru engine and is literally an identical car to the BRZ.

Lexus... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhdev8vs7c

Actual aero yet sell additional extras for "Aero",
Designed and focused on track yet has overheating issues on track,
Using a manual gearbox just not a very good one

Hybrid = political motivation and not an engineering solution (or even an environmental one - what ever that is now - follow the money). I know FWD / RWD arguments (ex E46M3 here) etc but that is a cost consideration mostly - so makes some sense at least.

What I mean is if the world wakes up in time, electric will be seen for what it is: at best a fad at worst - very expensive **** up! IC engines (diesel or petrol) ought to be the prime mover still but EU / UK ******* in our political and civil servant classes have crushed our automotive sector. None of it 'ours' - but a tragedy of stupidity anyway. I hope we still see proper performance cars a while yet and (P1 and its kin aside) - two engines will not make actual sense. EVER

You never know, in 3 years time the UK might have a more favourable trade deal with Japan than the EU does.

Or more importantly a better trade deal with the US than Japan does as most of the Civic's from Swindon go to the US market. My gut does say that for it to save the plant the deal will need to be in place within a year as for sure once production stops and staff are laid off it would cost billions to rehire and re commission the factory to restart production

Hybrid = political motivation and not an engineering solution (or even an environmental one - what ever that is now - follow the money). I know FWD / RWD arguments (ex E46M3 here) etc but that is a cost consideration mostly - so makes some sense at least.

What I mean is if the world wakes up in time, electric will be seen for what it is: at best a fad at worst - very expensive **** up! IC engines (diesel or petrol) ought to be the prime mover still but EU / UK ******* in our political and civil servant classes have crushed our automotive sector. None of it 'ours' - but a tragedy of stupidity anyway. I hope we still see proper performance cars a while yet and (P1 and its kin aside) - two engines will not make actual sense. EVER

Agree, like the government pushing diesels then all of a sudden they are hated things. Modern petrol and diesel engines are quite efficient.

Back